Queue Images Fail

Ask any support / help / issues / problem or question related to TumblingJazz
maVen

Re: Queue Images Fail

Post by maVen »

I'm stunned, it's been 2 days and I've had no problems, no errors :D

Queuing via tumblr allows for only 50 posts to be posted per day max**, I have TJ posting images to my queue at a rate of 44 per day (24hr), as I also have a "watch folder" process that dribbles the odd photo into my queue too, my queue is near limits so I'm a couple of days ahead and work like that, if I find my queue dropping down to 200 I drop more items (manually) into my watch folder to keep it topped up.

As for TJ reporting the errors, if TJ stated what the errors were than the users could sort it out themselves for most errors, if for example it was too many uploads, then that is easily resolved, the problems are that TJ doesn't tell you what the error is or what the error means, for example what does "couldn't pull urlframe" mean if this was translated into layman terms in an error module or error code help list, then the users could sort it themselves, creating less work for you here.

** you should know this, it's a surprise to find out you don't know how tumblr works :o
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Post by martin@rootjazz »

maVen wrote:I'm stunned, it's been 2 days and I've [s]had no problems, no errors[/s] not told tumblingjazz to do things tumblr doesn't allow and has worked well :D

Queuing via tumblr allows for only 50 posts to be posted per day max you should know this, it's a surprise to find out you don't know how tumblr works :o
You want to talk about about ins and outs of the HTTP protocol, fine. You want to talk about the varying limits that change on the whim of a social network, go to bhw. Anyway, I can post more than 50 :-\

As for TJ reporting the errors, if TJ stated what the errors were than the users could sort it out themselves for most errors, if for example it was too many uploads, then that is easily resolved
Do you have any idea on what is involved? I can assure you, when you typically think of something as "simple" or "easy" that it probably isn't. The issue here was tumblr change their error reporting schema, and unkindly didn't inform me...
the problems are that TJ doesn't tell you what the error is or what the error means, for example what does "couldn't pull urlframe" mean
I think that is one of the better error messages. TumJaz couldn't pull an iframe. I knew exactly what it was and got it fixed within the hour of it being reported.
if this was translated into layman terms in an error module or error code help list, then the users could sort it themselves, creating less work for you here.
Basically the logs are for me, not you. They give you a basic idea of what is going on, but are not intended to be "layman" readable. They are to allow me locate specific pieces of code when things go wrong. Thus short, cryptic and direct. Otherwise I need to write a book for each process, explaining what is happening. And you know my thoughts on documentation ;-)

** you should know this, it's a surprise to find out you don't know how tumblr works :o[/quote]
maVen

Post by maVen »

martin@rootjazz wrote:Anyway, I can post more than 50 :-\
Not from a queue you can't, which is what I said Image

As for TJ reporting the errors, if TJ stated what the errors were than the users could sort it out themselves for most errors, if for example it was too many uploads, then that is easily resolved
Do you have any idea on what is involved? I can assure you, when you typically think of something as "simple" or "easy" that it probably isn't. The issue here was tumblr change their error reporting schema, and unkindly didn't inform me...
the problems are that TJ doesn't tell you what the error is or what the error means, for example what does "couldn't pull urlframe" mean
I think that is one of the better error messages. TumJaz couldn't pull an iframe. I knew exactly what it was and got it fixed within the hour of it being reported.
if this was translated into layman terms in an error module or error code help list, then the users could sort it themselves, creating less work for you here.
Basically the logs are for me, not you. They give you a basic idea of what is going on, but are not intended to be "layman" readable. They are to allow me locate specific pieces of code when things go wrong. Thus short, cryptic and direct. Otherwise I need to write a book for each process, explaining what is happening. And you know my thoughts on documentation ;-)

====================================================================================================================

I'm trying to say that YOU wouldn't have to spend so much time looking through logs, it was suggestion to try and HELP YOU spend less time on trivial but urgent things and more time on important things, it's a principle of time management, you do code, I'll do management, thank you.

I think you're over complicating the error reporting module "write a book for each process" is complete nonsense, a sentence would do, you're too sensitive to allow people to suggest changes to your baby, but as you have shown you don't know how tumblr works but have written a bot for it, before you reply just remember who the customer is here.
Moses

Post by Moses »

So i got to test more, and found a small problem. If the queue is full, and i try to queue images i would get failures.

ERROR: Failed set meta: {"state":"Can't queue more than 300 posts."}

Logs: 83897
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Moses wrote:So i got to test more, and found a small problem. If the queue is full, and i try to queue images i would get failures.

ERROR: Failed set meta: {"state":"Can't queue more than 300 posts."}

Logs: 83897
What is the issue?

You tried to queue too many images, tumjaz fails them....
Moses

Post by Moses »

You tried to queue too many images, tumjaz fails them....
Yeah, it should've stopped instead of infinity failing, by this i mean it failures are non-stop and action never completes. Not sure how long it would continue failing, but i think it will take days if not ever.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

ahh, ok, yes I understand you.

Tough one. As some users may be using the TumJaz scheduler to upload images. Perhaps they got them calculations wrong and a couple of images are uploaded incorrectly, but after the 3rd pause, tumblr has posted some images, thus freeing up the queue and things are back in sync.

So an out right - "hit queue limit" drop out, isn't ideal for everyone, and as it is a change in current behaviour I am weary of making it.

Perhaps a half way solution would be, if fail 20 in a row, then drop out.
Moses

Post by Moses »

Perhaps a half way solution would be, if fail 20 in a row, then drop out.
Yeah that probably good. As long as it stops the infinite failures, that good enough .
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

done, in the next update, out later today