Is it a good idea to have irregular share intervals?

Ask any support / help / issues / problem or question related to Soundcloud Manager
bananarama

Is it a good idea to have irregular share intervals?

Post by bananarama »

Since I'm new, I'm hoping to share how think it should work, and get some feedback on whether this idea is on solid ground or not, and if so, how to proceed.

Ultimately, I want my shares to be evenly spacec, so if I have 24 tracks being shared, one is shared per hour. The scheduler can be used to do this, correct?

The wrinkle is that I want it to keep rotating through which track is on top at that time. If Joe Schmoe always checks in at 3pm, I want him to be able to see a DIFFERENT track each day at that time. Solution I came up with is to use an irregular interval.

so... Share cycles are all set to 19 hours.

Three questions: First, is this irregular interval thing a good idea? Why or why not?

Second, will this work with the scheduler? In other words, if I use scheduler, does it just schedule the FIRST share so that I can set the irregular interval, and it will just take care of itself from there, or does the scheduler take precedence on EACH share... meaning it forces that same schedule day after day?

Third, Is it all moot anyway since it won't really keep the 19 hour schedule as it will always be waiting in queue if some other task is processing for that account meaning it begins to drift and the intervals won't remain even?
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Re: Is it a good idea to have irregular share intervals?

Post by martin@rootjazz »

Three questions: First, is this irregular interval thing a good idea? Why or why not?
Maybe, ultimately you will need to test it and see how it works for you / your fan base / users interested in your styles. For example, if you are putting out freeform jazz, the listeners to this will tend to be older, so at work in the day time. Compared to if you are putting out the latest edmstepcorewubwub track, the fanbase tends to be younger, at school, more free time, so perhaps online most the day.

bananarama wrote:

Second, will this work with the scheduler? In other words, if I use scheduler, does it just schedule the FIRST share so that I can set the irregular interval, and it will just take care of itself from there, or does the scheduler take precedence on EACH share... meaning it forces that same schedule day after day?
just the first share, after that it is it the REPEAT EVERY X
Third, Is it all moot anyway since it won't really keep the 19 hour schedule as it will always be waiting in queue if some other task is processing for that account meaning it begins to drift and the intervals won't remain even?
Probably, you can multi thread, but with other processes and depending how long an action takes, the difference between the tracks will change.

But if you want to share a different track every day.

Get a list of your tracks to share
Set the share time to 24 hours (or 19 hours) whatever
Set number of tracks to share to 1

you will now share one track to a group, then after X hours, you will unshare it and share another. So always sharing a different track and more or less (depending if your machine on / no other processes running holding things up) it will unshare . reshare after the X hours