Pause function doesn't work as intended

Discussions to do with Soundcloud Manager. Do not use for support, use the dedicated support forum for help requests
navigator7477

Pause function doesn't work as intended

Post by navigator7477 »

I can only judge the intent of the Pause function in the Processing section/queue by the message that is displayed when you tick the Pause button after selecting one or more processes. That message indicates - more or less - that the current processes will be paused whenever possible. After 5-6 minutes they all pause, I suppose, because at that time I am able to close the application without getting the force-shut-down warning, but the progress column still reads Processing at that time... and it would be more intuitive to change the status to Paused... or at least to Waiting.

Secondly, once the app is reopened and the Run button is ticked, the previously paused processes resume from scratch - meaning that if, for instance, a Stream process was paused at 500 out of 1000 plays, the count will drop down back to 1 after the process is resumed.

I tested this function by actually restarting the app and by using Stream processes only. In other words, it may behave differently if the processes are resumed without restarting the app or if different types of processes (favouring, share, etc) are paused.

Naturally, the expectation would be to be able to pause all processes in queue and to resume them later at the point where you left off. If that doesn't happen, the value of the pause function is quite minimal = i.e., might as well call this a cancellation function, which you can later redo, just like you can redo a cancelled or completed process.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Re: Pause function doesn't work as intended

Post by martin@rootjazz »

Yes, clicking pause means pause when they next hit the point that checks whether they should pause. Some actions will pause quicker than others, by the nature of the action.

The shut down warning is removed, it never worked as well as I liked. If you click shutdown, then confirm, the app will just close.

Yes, the processes do not pick up where you left off. If you restart the app, they will all restart. For the time being this isn't going to change. Wouldn't be a major low level logic change to code this in. If there ever comes a SCM V2, this will be included as it is requested from time to time.

I disagree pause should be labelled cancel. it is a pause. The actions are not cancelled, they are paused. And if you click run, they are unpaused, not restarted :-) Whether to if it is a benefit can b e debated. It helps me for testing, for checking on stats / values have updated, which is a good enough reason to keep it. And as I have final say, it stays lol
navigator7477

Post by navigator7477 »

Agree to disagree, but this function is far from being a big deal to whine about. Thanks for checking into it :)
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Post by martin@rootjazz »

navigator7477 wrote:Agree to disagree, but this function is far from being a big deal to whine about. Thanks for checking into it :)
Just to have the last word :), I would say, something that has been cancelled, cannot be restarted from current position. This would be more unintuitive than a non persistent pause across restarts.

But as you say, it isn't a major issue