https://rootjazz.com/tumblingjazz/updatetesting.html

Regards,
Martin
tahoe012

Re: Wordpress RSS to Tumblr

Post by tahoe012 »

Martin,

Thank you for solving this problem.

Also, I will share your comments with the guy who owns a different network of sites and Tumblrs. He has not fed the Tumblrs thru RootJazz cause he has been using another system with a high monthly (but I think he is on a lifetime deal). So, when he sets up WPeMatico for handling the RSS Feed he checks this option: Convert character encoding to UTF-8. By doing so it creates this conflict with RootJazz. Well - all I can say is really appreciate you looking into this and creating a custom solution for my particular case.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Post by martin@rootjazz »

tahoe012 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:18 pm So, when he sets up WPeMatico for handling the RSS Feed he checks this option: Convert character encoding to UTF-8. By doing so it creates this conflict with RootJazz.
What I assume this does is to add the encoding type to the XML / RSS file itself. However, the server is still telling the browser / bot that the encoding is something else (not UTF8). So in order to read the XML file to find out it is UTF8, the file must be decoded first by what the server tells it, which is non-utf8. So it's catch22, you cannot read the file to find out it is UTF8 before decoding incorrectly as specified by the server.

So it isn't a rootjazz issue (as shown by firefox also does the same thing). Firefox and tumjazz are doing it correctly, it's just they are told to do it wrong.
Well - all I can say is really appreciate you looking into this and creating a custom solution for my particular case.
No worries, as always do let me know if anything is not working as it should, whether it is a our fault or not, we can usually always come up with a solution :)

Regards,
Martin
tahoe012

Post by tahoe012 »

To Expand on this:

"Can I insert a timer so lets say there are 100 Tumblrs. The RSS posting from WP Blog1 (each new blog post) would post to all 100 tumblrs but at different intervals so all 100 don't get slammed at the same time with the same WP Blog Post?"

Suppose I didn't create 100 actions. I just pull in the RSS Feed, select all and Run. That works fine. BUT, after it completes the task the task ENDs as completed. What steps would I take to keep the task running so each time a new post is on the rss feed it sends it to the 100 tumblrs right away rather than when I create a new task? Like an automatically never ending task..
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Post by martin@rootjazz »

tahoe012 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:10 am To Expand on this:

"Can I insert a timer so lets say there are 100 Tumblrs. The RSS posting from WP Blog1 (each new blog post) would post to all 100 tumblrs but at different intervals so all 100 don't get slammed at the same time with the same WP Blog Post?"

Suppose I didn't create 100 actions. I just pull in the RSS Feed, select all and Run. That works fine. BUT, after it completes the task the task ENDs as completed. What steps would I take to keep the task running so each time a new post is on the rss feed it sends it to the 100 tumblrs right away rather than when I create a new task? Like an automatically never ending task..
All you can do is have the action REPEAT every (n) hours to check for new posts. You cannot run this action as a never ending task - although repeating every (n) hours is sort of that, but the action does end, waits for schedule times and repeats.