so for description you could do:
<title>

but NOT
<title> - <link>

as that would be two elements
bitcoin

Re: RSS feed help

Post by bitcoin »

:oops: then how do you post <item> & it's link...?
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Post by martin@rootjazz »

You cannot. Each meta option can only use 1 RSS element

It is a limitation. tbh next to no one uses the RSS features that I am aware of. It is hard to setup due to RSS / XML / XPATH.
bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

:twisted: I now understand why nobody uses it ;-)

I now have a java / MySql solution that tackles it all - could have bought a lot of bots for that :( In the long run... It should pay off. I really love my RSS feeds!
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

bitcoin wrote::twisted: I now understand why nobody uses it ;-)

I now have a java / MySql solution that tackles it all - could have bought a lot of bots for that :( In the long run... It should pay off. I really love my RSS feeds!
What you are trying to do is complex, it requires some technical know how. Either you have to learn it, or pay someone (or bug me to do it for you).

No one wants to pay me to do it for them though :(
bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

martin@rootjazz wrote:
bitcoin wrote::twisted: I now understand why nobody uses it ;-)

What you are trying to do is complex, it requires some technical know how. Either you have to learn it, or pay someone (or bug me to do it for you).

No one wants to pay me to do it for them though :(
... if nobody knows that's an option :( You should pin a topic about that... Complex features that are not immediately a must-have for everyone, can be added after a price has been discussed.

To be fair, I hoped he'd follow up with another job on a php forum (ieuw! no!!) and he has many more smart ideas that actually could lead to a small service company online, somewhere :)

So I am not happy I have to spend money, I am happy with the data mining hobby this guy has. And I don't think you take $INSANE payments...? :ugeek:

It's a slippery slope of abusing your expertise and helping you to improve TD. I hope I am doing both - the latter more than the first ; -)

PS: if you think you can use an all-round RSS bot with Java and (for now) MySql (to be replaced by ASCII and complemented with web GUI), you may always make *me* an offer. After all, I am now a proud custom source code product holder! ;p
lisha5684

Post by lisha5684 »

I'm going to have to second the ability to tweet both title and link when tweeting from rss feeds.

I do get that software developing is hard (that's why it's one of the few things I don't know how to do in life lol).

But the rss feature is almost obsolete if you can't tweet both the title AND link.

If you tweet just the title--well, why would you do that? I have no idea except just to have tweets going out in some fashion, but that is definitely not targeted tweeting.

If you tweet just the link, twitter will eventually see that as spam, the more you tweet just a link (and nothing else) the more your account will be flagged as spam...

If you can ever get around to adding the functionality of tweeting both that would be great!

And then after that, adding the functionality to add a prefix or suffix to the tweet like "Title Link via @username" <-- this gets the attention of the blogger.

I'd be willing to contribute to a fund to pay you to make these feature requests possible :)

But alas, I just noticed I'm in the tumblingjazz section of the forum, and I would need this feature on the twitterdub software.

If you are able to make it work on one software (like tumblingjazz) will that make it easier to make it work on another software (like twitterdub)?
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

lisha5684 wrote:I'm going to have to second the ability to tweet both title and link when tweeting from rss feeds.

I do get that software developing is hard (that's why it's one of the few things I don't know how to do in life lol).

But the rss feature is almost obsolete if you can't tweet both the title AND link.
In RSS TWEET TEXT, no you cannot. That is why there is a RSS TWEET LINK module that lets you tweet a link and a body (title).

If you tweet just the title--well, why would you do that? I have no idea except just to have tweets going out in some fashion, but that is definitely not targeted tweeting.
A potential use case is syndicated tweeting from a central location to multiple places

If you tweet just the link, twitter will eventually see that as spam, the more you tweet just a link (and nothing else) the more your account will be flagged as spam...
TWEET LINKS can have a body

And then after that, adding the functionality to add a prefix or suffix to the tweet like "Title Link via @username" <-- this gets the attention of the blogger.
I suppose this could be added easily with two separate input text boxes. Prefix / postfix. Rather than trying to parse out the content from the meta representation.

Remind me in 1-2 weeks if it doesn't get added and I'll look into it. Am really busy at the moment and another week until I get back to normal working hours

But alas, I just noticed I'm in the tumblingjazz section of the forum, and I would need this feature on the twitterdub software.

If you are able to make it work on one software (like tumblingjazz) will that make it easier to make it work on another software (like twitterdub)?
yes