Scrape Tweet Function Improvements Suggested For Multilined Tweets

Support / help / discussion forum for twitter bot
bmanfacts

Scrape Tweet Function Improvements Suggested For Multilined Tweets

Post by bmanfacts »

Hello,

I've scraped many tweets using this software and one thing I've noticed is how difficult it can be to work with the scraped tweets.
Here's the biggest challenge I noticed. Scraped Tweets that are multi-lined come out ill formatted,

If I tweeted something like

Roses are red.

Violets are blue.

The Output may either come out as:
Roses are red.Violets are blue.

Or

Roses are red.
Violets are blue.

Since the updates, I've noticed its more the latter than the former. It maybe it was easier while the former since i could just enter it into a google doc & edit it via spell check.

The problem is when there are multiple tweets, we can't distinguish when a new line or tweet is established from the scraped tweet data.

I suggest an improvement to this function, as I find this essential for myself & others, to meet the modern style of tweeting where many include [several] line breaks into tweets. In other words: Keep the Original Tweet Format when Scraping

I could see this in multiple ways:
- Twitterdub Tweet format where the <br> is included to signal line breaks
- Some kind of list function where the start of tweets have a number or a dash before them, like how these two lines are functioned.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Re: Scrape Tweet Function Improvements Suggested For Multilined Tweets

Post by martin@rootjazz »

Can you let me know which exact function you are using that causes the bad formatting output.
bmanfacts

Post by bmanfacts »

From the Scrape function, the "Scrape body" function-> the one next to "Scrape Tweets"

In the past, "Scrape Tweets" wouldn't produce what I sought no matter which selection I made between "id" "url" & "detail" but the body did.

The "Scrape Body" function is where I experience what I describe in the OP
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

\r and \n are replaced in the results. I cannot see how it is possible to get a single tweet saved over two lines, it doesn't happen in my tests and code appears to handle it correctly.

Please provide example searches you run, along with the results file and logs showing this issue.

For future reference, please, read through this post and submit your issue accordingly. Not everything will be relevant to your issue, but have a read as it gives an idea of the information you can provide to help me help you as quickly as possible without delays in having to request additional information :)

https://rootjazz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1634

Regards,
Martin
bmanfacts

Post by bmanfacts »

martin@rootjazz wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:15 pm \r and \n are replaced in the results. I cannot see how it is possible to get a single tweet saved over two lines, it doesn't happen in my tests and code appears to handle it correctly.

Please provide example searches you run, along with the results file and logs showing this issue.

For future reference, please, read through this post and submit your issue accordingly. Not everything will be relevant to your issue, but have a read as it gives an idea of the information you can provide to help me help you as quickly as possible without delays in having to request additional information :)

Regards,
Martin
Input: User Tweets.
Input username
Cap the scrape at 500 results
No other filters
Scrape Body

Results: Sent via PM
Logs: 2197

I'll work on utilizing that more often!
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

bmanfacts wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:04 pm
martin@rootjazz wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:15 pm \r and \n are replaced in the results. I cannot see how it is possible to get a single tweet saved over two lines, it doesn't happen in my tests and code appears to handle it correctly.

Regards,
Martin
Input: User Tweets.
Input username
What usernames?
Results: Sent via PM
Which appears wrong to you? I scrolled the save file, but without knowing what you think is wrong, had to guess which line
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

nevermind, figured it out. The next update will fix this. I shall let you know when it is ready.

Regards,
Martin