Watch Folder - Post to Random Accounts?

Support / help / discussion forum for twitter bot
kevshTO

Watch Folder - Post to Random Accounts?

Post by kevshTO »

Hi,

Finally got around to trying out the Image Tweet - Watch Folder Post function and looks great and seems to be working as expected so far.
One question is, is it possible to select multiple accounts and have the post randomly pick one of the accounts to post to?

From my testing it seems to pick them in order they are listed (I have Share Across Accounts checked, if unchecked a separate action is created for each account), which is fine for a single tweet, but if I want this thing running every day I want to mix it up.

(To answer the possible question about why I need them to be random, simply because I am automatically generating an image and tweet text from an XML file, then saving both to the specified directory. This script runs randomly several times a day and produces a link in the tweet, so I'm just trying to mix things up so the same account isn't posting a link to the same site around the same time every day.)
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Re: Watch Folder - Post to Random Accounts?

Post by martin@rootjazz »

kevshTO wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:24 pm Hi,

Finally got around to trying out the Image Tweet - Watch Folder Post function and looks great and seems to be working as expected so far.
One question is, is it possible to select multiple accounts and have the post randomly pick one of the accounts to post to?
should be, just check multiple accounts when building the action. You may need to check the box SHARED ACTION to ensure, one account is selected to post the content, and not all images post the same content (if you want all accounts to post all images, then don't check shared)

From my testing it seems to pick them in order they are listed (I have Share Across Accounts checked, if unchecked a separate action is created for each account), which is fine for a single tweet, but if I want this thing running every day I want to mix it up.
lol I should have read this before replying above. They are used in a sequence to ensure that if 10 accounts selected and 10 images to post, each will post one. To select at random, means some accounts may post 2 images and some none.

(To answer the possible question about why I need them to be random, simply because I am automatically generating an image and tweet text from an XML file, then saving both to the specified directory. This script runs randomly several times a day and produces a link in the tweet, so I'm just trying to mix things up so the same account isn't posting a link to the same site around the same time every day.)
Currently accounts are always used in sequence. But unless you are adding the same to the watch folder the same each day, different accounts should do different things I would have thought
kevshTO

Re: Watch Folder - Post to Random Accounts?

Post by kevshTO »

Thanks for the reply, Martin. I figured that was the case.

In case anyone else wants to do something like this, I'm going to just set up a few actions with 3-4 accounts in each, with each action running one or two days/week and over time rotate the accounts by editing the config file in the processor directly.