280 character tweets & TD

Support / help / discussion forum for twitter bot
bitcoin

280 character tweets & TD

Post by bitcoin »

Martin,

Have you noticed? Tweets now can be 280 characters long... Time for an update? : )
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Re: 280 character tweets & TD

Post by martin@rootjazz »

no, when did this happen?

But I can add an option so you can set it by account should you want to if it will vary
bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

martin@rootjazz wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:55 pm no, when did this happen?

But I can add an option so you can set it by account should you want to if it will vary
Great. I thought it was a joke too but I also never got any "tweets too long" remarks either. My counter was broken last few weeks - I bet it was because I was one of the first to get 280 characters.

Source: google it ;p
Those granted the new 280-character limit mainly used it to protest the new 280-character limit. So tweets are longer now — but although the feature has so far only been rolled out for a few apparently random Twitter accounts, the majority of the platform's users have rallied against the change.Sep 28, 2017
bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

PS: it will probably also fix most of my tweet-too-long errors : )
bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/t ... et-updates

Introduction

This document outlines the previous change to Tweets so that people can express even more in 140 characters:
1) to allow for richer public conversations that are easier to follow on Twitter and
2) to ensure people can attach media to Tweets without sacrificing the characters they have to express themselves.

Recent revisions: 280 character Tweet experiment:
On September 26, 2017, Twitter announced an experiment enabling Tweets with up to 280 characters, available to a small group of users. For JSON received from enterprise products, these Tweets are encoded in JSON as an extended Tweet (see below for more information). See the bottom of this page for a sample JSON payload from the enterprise 30-day Search API..

<SNIP TABLE>

What changed?

We are simplifying the way that replies work on Twitter by moving some of the “scaffolding” of Tweets into display elements so that they no longer count towards the character limit within the Tweet.

Simplified replies: @names that auto-populate at the start of a reply Tweet will not count towards the character limit (but new non-reply Tweets starting with a @mention will count, as will @mentions added explicitly by the user in the body of the Tweet).

Media attachments: A URL at the end of Tweets generated from attaching photos, a video, GIF, poll, Quote Tweet, or DM deep link will also not count towards the character limit (URLs typed or pasted inside the Tweet will be counted towards the character limit as they do today).
This set of changes will introduce new limits around the numbers of specific elements that may be included as part of a Tweet (specifically, mentions).

These changes are shipping in stages. Our goal is to give developers and partners this advance notice of changes to the format of Tweets so that they can prepare their products and applications appropriately.

Compatibility, and what this means for developers
Backward and forward compatibility for third party clients and other API users are our primary considerations.
There are a number of areas that will be impacted by the change:
the public REST and Streaming APIs
the Ads API
the Gnip data products
display products, such as Twitter Kit for embedded Tweets and timelines displayed on iOS, Android, and Web.

Tweet object changes
The following things will change within Tweet payloads:
The displayed text in a Tweet does not exceed 140 characters, but - when usernames or attachment URLs are included at the appropriate points in the Tweet - the text content of the overall Tweet JSON object will be able to exceed 140 characters. Developers must avoid hard-coding length assumptions into their applications.

The text shall be logically divided into three regions:
A hidden prefix region that may contain one or more space-separated @mentions which shall not be rendered as part of the display text, but must instead be rendered as metadata.
A display text region, which remains a maximum of 140 characters in length.
A hidden suffix region that may contain one attachment URL which shall not be rendered as part of the display text, but must instead be rendered as metadata. This region is limited to containing a single URL entity that identifies an attachment resource: currently, one to four photos, a GIF, video, poll, Quote Tweet, or DM deep link.

Note: URLs for Quote Tweet or DM deep links that are typed or pasted into a Tweet will still count against the character limit. The new attachment_url parameter on the POST statuses/update endpoint will enable valid link formats to be attached to a Tweet. They will not count against the character limit when this method is used.

If the text contains a hidden prefix or suffix region, then the Tweet object shall contain values to identify the start and end indices of the region of the text to be displayed as the Tweet text.
Example payloads are provided in the appendix.

All the rest is for you Martin... But It feels like 280 character tweets ask for more than updating MaxTweetLength-variable...? ;-)

Good luck!
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

next update you can specify your limit
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

I just made a 280 character tweet... Great time to test - I'll let you know in the next few days :)
bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

Where can I find the option...? I looked around, can't really find anything!

Also; see bottom of the picture... Same option twice? I wouldn't even know what it does, but you might know more? : )
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

double click account, advanced