Anyone else noticing twitter impressions going to zero or just a fraction of what it should be?

Support / help / discussion forum for twitter bot
bitcoin

Anyone else noticing twitter impressions going to zero or just a fraction of what it should be?

Post by bitcoin »

I'm noticing a very strange problem with twitterdub for some time now.

I can't put my fingers on it but it's almost certainly related to TD.

What happens is this: usually around the time I go to bed (varying times), my twitter impressions for a 2 hour interval drops from say 15k to 25k TO absolutely zero or just a 2500 max impressions. This will go on for about 6 to 10 hours before it returns to normal. Last 2 days I don't even get back to normal and I'm struggling to even get 70% of my usual impression rate.

Anyone else noticing big drops while running TD?
faxnet

Re: Anyone else noticing twitter impressions going to zero or just a fraction of what it should be?

Post by faxnet »

This happened to me a few time (and is still happening) but I am 99.9% sure it is not related to TD.
You are just being ghosted by twitter. I call this an "impression ghosting" because you can be "follow ghosted" too.

What happens is that because of your behavior (or the behavior of many accounts interacting with you), your account is flagged as spammy and your posts don't appear in twitter search anymore. To test this, the next time your impression count drops, go on twitter with another account and do a search for the account that is affected, you normally won't see any tweet (popular or latest tab). Only on the "people" tab you should see the affected account.

This means (I believe) that only your followers see your tweets (and followers of people retweeting your tweets). You don't have any organic impression anymore.

It happens to me a lot lately but I think I know what triggered it. I started testing no links in my tweets and it is probably related to that.
For one of my accounts, I was not posting link anymore and it came back in twitter search. The second I posted a tweet with a link, the account disappeared again!!

So go slow, test and let us know if you find something that can help us :)

Best
bitcoin

Re: Anyone else noticing twitter impressions going to zero or just a fraction of what it should be?

Post by bitcoin »

Well, I went out today - it really looks like (for me) that I don't get punished for spamming but punished for not being behind my computer.

Look what happened when I left this afternoon... I was back home after about 5 hours...

Your point that I'd be only visible to my followers kinda makes sense, because I do have retweets & replies while my numbers are at 0.

I'll kill one of my biggest promotions at this time. It might be fixed if the randomization of dynamic tweets gets fully randomized too. I already asked Martin for that fix - if it is needed.

It's weird though, while I have many promotions running I don't spam my timeline too much. Otherwise I'd get comments and remarks. I post A LOT but I am also very popular in my niche. I give quality, not spam ;p Twitter shouldn't hate people that make money where they seem to be unable to...

Sigh.

Let's keep each other informed - I really appreciated your feedback.
bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

Oh, and full disclosure: yes, I cross-post promotions I run to 4 other accounts I manage. They don't get much love nor attention from me, but it still has a few extra followers I wouldn't reach otherwise. That might be a problem too...
bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

(refresh page is not image is shown here - it's a bit big)

What do I make of this picture??

How many Impressions are there? The big letters are getting close to the min. 200k it should be. The small print on the right is what is actually was. And wtf happened to my tweets???? It's empty? Sigh.
Last edited by bitcoin on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

See how the numbers go up again. The last 2 are close to 20k (which is on target), with the last bar on the same target. I now also killed most of my important promos that were running for a few weeks now (lots of pictures, lots of tweets, most of them dynamic).

You'd say: see, clear case of spamming! But... But! I post a tweet every few hours...! The rest the time the Action is just waiting.

I'll keep it running as it is now. Tomorrow, I'll re-enable the Action for my main account. See if I get killed again. I'll also test with (a mix of) the alternative bot accounts I have running.

PS: another thing... Usually I get a lot of "please verify your identify" dialogues on my main account. Sometimes up to 3 verification after each other. It has been blisfully quiet the last few days / week. Almost looks like Twitter gave up on that (you can only say so many times you are not a bot) and switched to the no impressions strategy, hoping I'll change.

Can it be that twitter just doesn't like all the API calls being made? Martin? For I have many many actions, but they are all spread out over the day with long pauses in betweet (I always have annoyance by my followers in the back of my mind).
faxnet

Post by faxnet »

Hi Bitcoin,

To answer your question "where are my tweets" on the analytics page, you are just ghosted at that time. I am having the same thing on my side when an account is ghosted, no impression in search and no tweets on the analytic page.

I am curious how you get so many impressions, is it your hashtags? or you have many followers? is your engagement organique? your retweets are real or do you use secondary bot accounts to create them? what do you do when you talk about promo that you are running?

** ok I just realized that it may be your number of tweets, looking at your graph you posted 400 tweets yesterday so you post a lot. I get the same number of impressions with 12 tweets on average per day, sometimes more ** So I guess I need to post more tweets (like 10 times more and see what happens) :D

I don't know why your impression numbers are different, this is weird.

The impression ghosting started for me on the night 23-24 september and I did something at that time with one of my main accounts so I thought it was that. Maybe twitter did some changes too. What is weird is this time the accounts are not recovering fully, today they are unghosted and the day after ghosted. Before it was different, like it would be ghosted for 1 week and clear after that. So not sure what is happening.

What do you mean by twitter asking to verify your identity? I don't know if it is happening to me but if it is the case td is handling that. And I only use PVA (I think you too otherwise you can't use the api). So td would enter the phone number when required and that's about it.

The bumps in the picture below is when the account were unghosted but after 23 I stopped all activity (like/rt) by secondary account so it makes sense that after even when the account were unghosted, I don't get as much views but 5k is below normal for 10 tweets.

I don't think twitter would blame if you use the api a lot. For sure it is a footprint but they are so many apps using the api and I believe that as soon as you use a different client (even android app) other than the native twitter app you are using the api, so even normal users do use the api.
bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

Yeah, I'm having the exact same experiences :(

last night was about 40% of what it should be. Better than 0, but still. I killed a few more promos, mostly on my secondary helper accounts this time. I'll check in another 2 hours if things have improved.

NO TWEETS VISIBLE: well, I was ghosted a few times, but also doing almost normal at other moments in those 2 days... So... What happened to the tweets... There should be some there!

Verify: you know the drill: get codes to unlock your account. At one point, I got triple verification each time. Than that stopped and I'm on a semi-permanent ghosting ban, with a rare single unlock once I believe. Last week of September could be when it all started for me too. And yes, I had seen it before but in those cases it was a clear warning from twitter: kill that promo, or else... ;p

My interactions are all organic. I have about 30k to 35k real followers, minimum. I don't have any mega boosters. The helper accounts are mostly for me to play with and maybe build further up once I have my bots under control (sigh).

RETWEETING is a mostly a bot activity, though I do manual retweets too when I'm checking my replies. I still don't retweet much because of lack in features of my current bots. I am working on another bot and getting an assistant soon to finally start retweeting too (it was what made my account, retweeting, years ago). There is a little retweeting by the secondary bots, but that is based on KWs so not all gets retweeted. I really use it to add info to the respective accounts. Not to boost them artificially.
bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

I guess I haven't been tweeting last month... :s Only the tab Top Tweets shows the tweets...

And this drop in amount of tweets makes no sense either... Must be them ghosted tweets?

faxnet

Post by faxnet »

Your last post images are not visible.

The only times I got the code verification was when I would do too many followers in a short period. In this case I consider the account lost because I don't have the phone So I try to avoid that. If it is a secondary account I don't care but if it is a main account I will email twitter saying that I lost my phone blah blah and they will unlock.

Good to know that too many tweets will ask for phone verification (which I don't have) so I will be careful.

When you are ghosted, all your tweets disappear, not just the recent ones.

I don't have that many followers but one day maybe lol, my follower count grow at around a 1000/month. But I definitely need to do more posting and other interactions to get more followers.