Tweet Images: adding xy random hashtags prevents tweet being posted: tweet too long!

Support / help / discussion forum for twitter bot
bitcoin

Tweet Images: adding xy random hashtags prevents tweet being posted: tweet too long!

Post by bitcoin »

Martin, lower priority (I'll remove the # now) but I noticed that TD doesn't stop adding tags if the tweet becomes too long (or, maybe: if xy KWs are given... At least 1 must fit, otherwise the whole tweet is denied by twitter).

Looks like a complicated fix, please do so :P

Code: Select all

* ERROR: verify action: Forbidden - The request is understood, but it has been refused or access is not allowed. An accompanying error message will explain why. This code is used when requests are being denied due to update limits.
* ERROR Info: Status is over 140 characters.
I used 4 KWs on mutli-syntax tweets that could get close to max size of a tweet, so it makes sense many tweets would get 0 added #hashtags.

Thanks!
Last edited by bitcoin on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Re: Tweet Images: adding xy random hashtags prevents tweet being posted: tweet too long!

Post by martin@rootjazz »

There should be a routine to test for length and trim the tweet so it is within the limits.

If you have the log of the attempted tweet, it should say this. If not, something stopped it running, or perhaps it couldn't split the tweet into words to remove?
bitcoin

Re: Tweet Images: adding xy random hashtags prevents tweet being posted: tweet too long!

Post by bitcoin »

Martin, I think we have a problem here.

The action just created a tweet that easily fits (35 characters free if I copy paste it to twitter.com to test).

Yet the error is:

* ERROR: verify action: Forbidden - The request is understood, but it has been refused or access is not allowed. An accompanying error message will explain why. This code is used when requests are being denied due to update limits.
* ERROR Info: Status is over 140 characters.
* FAILED: TweetPostId:
Full logs in the email:

to:	support <support@rootjazz.com>
date:	Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 9:05 PM
subject:	Re: Topic reply notification - "Tweet Images: adding xy random hashtags prevents tweet being posted: tweet too long!"
Log ID:
bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

I found mistakes in my template file.

They should now be corrected.

Yet first run gives:

New! Holding WCX tokens is equivalent to holding an income portfolio of diverse digital currencies t.co/IVV9sz6KaW

#bitcoincash #InvestmentOpportunity #opportunity #wcxt #Exchange #CrowdFundCampaign #altcoin #InvestingOpportunity
Obviously, that tweet is too long.

New! Holding WCX tokens is equivalent to holding an income portfolio of diverse digital currencies t.co/IVV9sz6KaW
would have been perfect and has room for a few hashtags (or none if randomization is unlucky and only picks long words).

I made some fresh new logs for you:

Console log: see 3th email :) Small victory: reducing the 8x %kw% tags to 4 prevented extreme long tweets as above to appear. Now all proposed tweets are again within limits, though they get refused.
bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

Thanks for the email - I hope you can track this one down... The campaign should've been launched yesterday so I'm definitely missing out here :(

For now, the problem remains. Log ID:

xx
bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

I hate weekends... Enjoy yours Martin :)

xx
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Have you noticed this only happening with links in tweets?

From twitter:
Type or paste the URL into the Tweet box on twitter.com. A URL of any length will be altered to 23 characters, even if the link itself is less than 23 characters long. Your character count will reflect this.
Posting links in a Tweet | Twitter Help Center
https://support.twitter.com/articles/78124
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

bitcoin wrote:I hate weekends... Enjoy yours Martin :)

xx
not a chance. Two kids and a large backlog of support :(

Anyway:
that is only 123 swapping the URL for 23 chars.

There is no reason why twitter should reject. If you could run some tests to find out what happens when:

post a tweet of <100 chars no url
post a tweet of <100 chars WITH url
post a tweet of >120 chars no url
post a tweet of >140 chars and NO url (does the program reduce it and post it)

We need to try and find out:
* is this something with your account
* your content / urls somehow running a foul

It could be a program bug on tweets around 140 (138 / 142) perhaps not reducing correctly, but as the above tweet is confirmed 123 chars, I don't think so, as that iseasily within limits
bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

:( I'm sorry for the backlog. I feel partially to blame :/ I try to make up for it though : )

And at least children bring joy, no? :)

Martin, if you promise not to get mad... And yell at me... I fixed the problem!

Have I told you I wasn't a coder for a reason? Spot the differences:

{Giveaway of|Free|Affiliate opportunity for|Earn|#RT} pre-ICO $WCX tokens. Join the best exchange of 2018! {Launch|ICO|#ICO|PCA} {Oct 1st|10.01.2017}. Get it now t.co/IVV9sz6KaW!
Stop putting up with lousy exchanges.<br>{#WCX|WCX tokens|$WCX|@wcxofficial|WCX} t.co/IVV9sz6KaW offers a {secure|professional|pro|low cost|advanced|profit-sharing based) experience with 10x lower fees.
vs.

{Giveaway of|Free|Affiliate opportunity for|Earn|#RT} pre-ICO $WCX tokens. Join the best exchange of 2018! {Launch|ICO|#ICO|PCA} {Oct 1st|10.01.2017}. Get it now t.co/IVV9sz6KaW!
Stop putting up with lousy exchanges.<br>{#WCX|WCX tokens|$WCX|@wcxofficial|WCX} t.co/IVV9sz6KaW offers a {secure|professional|pro|low cost|advanced|profit-sharing based) experience with 10x lower fees.
It also explains the weird output of the logs...

PS: for others, the bottom one gives problems - the top one is ok!

:oops:
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

But still, the program should detect >140 and reduce, so even if you forgot to put the line separator in, you should still post a tweet. That is what I don't understand, why a tweet was counted at 123 and failed to post...