Different RSS feeds for different twitter accounts?

Support / help / discussion forum for twitter bot
lisha5684

Different RSS feeds for different twitter accounts?

Post by lisha5684 »

Hi,

I just got twitterdub a few days ago and I'm trying to figure many things out and I've searched the forum but I am unable to find an answer to my questions. I've also watched some of the video tutorials regarding rss.

I have 6 accounts added so far and I'm trying to set up rss feeds for each twitter account. Here are my questions so far:

1. The way it looks to me, I can't set up different rss feeds for different twitter accounts... If I have 70 twitter accounts, each in a difference niche, would I have to have 70 instances of twitterdub running at once in order for each twitter account to tweet from its own list of rss feeds?

For example, I obviously do not want to tweet about acupuncture on a twitter account that is for a roofing contractor. Does that make sense? I would need acupuncture blogs to be tweeted to the acupuncture twitter account and home improvement blogs to be tweeted to the roofing twitter account. But it seems when I set up the rss feed, it seems I can only make one list to tweet to all twitter accounts.

2. I also don't even know how to make a list of rss feeds for twitterdub to tweet because it says you can input the file path containing multiple feeds, but when I input a file path to a txt file of rss feed urls, it says it's an incorrect file path when I know it is not.

3. What is the difference between the part on twitterdub that shows a twitter bird logo with the rss feed on top of it, and the link chain with the rss feed symbol on top?

4. So far I have not seen evidence of being able to tweet the title, link, and any custom prefix or suffix when tweeting from rss feeds.

Example tweet: Amazon is refunding purchases of unverifiable eclipse eyewear https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/12/amazo ... se-eyewear via @techcrunch

Am I able to do that? Because so far I have only seen that you can post EITHER title OR link. Not title and link. Why would someone want to post the link without the title and vice versa?

5. I would also like to customize extra prefix or suffix to each rss feed. For example, if I am tweeting from an rss feed from techcrunch, I would like to add the end part in the tweet that says something like "via @techcrunch". But I don't want the same prefix or suffix on every rss feed. If I'm tweeting from mashable's rss feed, I don't want the tweet to say "via @techcrunch". I'd want it to say "via @mashable". Let me know if this is possible.

So far twitterdub definitely seems more for spamming, etc than for automating certain tasks for twitter accounts of real people or businesses... I'm not against the former, I just really need it for the latter. If I have to run a different instance if I want twitterdub to tweet different things, then I'd be having way too many instances running all the time, it would be so confusing for me... So if that's the case I would think twitterdub is not for me...

Please correct me if I'm wrong and let me know if there is a way I can customize each twitter account I am trying to tweet/follow for.

This thread makes me feel like what I would like to do will not be possible with twitterdub: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1585&start=10
bitcoin

Re: Different RSS feeds for different twitter accounts?

Post by bitcoin »

Well I can say for question 1: you make an Action you need for each account. You'll run 1 instance of TD with 70 Action rules running in it... For RSS in general: maybe take a look at some of my recent topics. I went through pretty much the same path... It's confusing a.f. ;p
bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

2. I also don't even know how to make a list of rss feeds for twitterdub to tweet
Each RSS feed gets its own Action rule. So you a create an RSS Action with URL=http://link.to/rss.xml
bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

logo with the rss feed on top of it, and the link chain with the rss feed symbol on top
The chain does (I suspect) what you want in Q2. I never tried it though.

I will save Martin the trouble: youtube rootjazz twitterdub

You should really check them :)
bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

5. I would also like to customize extra prefix or suffix to each rss feed.
This is one for the Feature Request topic... I miss that too! I even requested it as a feature with my coder...
Let me know if this is possible.
Martin takes requests and often honors them quickly. If he'll add this feature... I have my doubts :s Though Martin is also for *rent* - I suspect more is possible then ;-) PS: feel free to speak out if you think an hourly timing is too rough... I got shut down for my Minutes timer :cry:
bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

This might also be what you mean with your subject...

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4711

PS: Martin: Quote: "you have already built one house, you can build a second in a few hours..."
Yes, actually, this is how it works. If you use the proper tech and 3D print your house it can be done in a day now :twisted:
lisha5684

Post by lisha5684 »

bitcoin wrote:Well I can say for question 1: you make an Action you need for each account. You'll run 1 instance of TD with 70 Action rules running in it... For RSS in general: maybe take a look at some of my recent topics. I went through pretty much the same path... It's confusing a.f. ;p
OK, thanks for all your help. I'm just going to continue to tinker with it and see if I can figure it out (I did watch some of the tutorial videos on youtube and they didn't seem to help me understand much). TD does seem to be confusing a.f. lol.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Post by martin@rootjazz »

lisha5684 wrote:Hi,

I just got twitterdub a few days ago and I'm trying to figure many things out and I've searched the forum but I am unable to find an answer to my questions. I've also watched some of the video tutorials regarding rss.

I have 6 accounts added so far and I'm trying to set up rss feeds for each twitter account. Here are my questions so far:
ok, lets go..
1. The way it looks to me, I can't set up different rss feeds for different twitter accounts... If I have 70 twitter accounts, each in a difference niche, would I have to have 70 instances of twitterdub running at once in order for each twitter account to tweet from its own list of rss feeds?
no. goto the RSS feed, check the account to use, specify the RSS feed and how to get the data you want from it

For example, I obviously do not want to tweet about acupuncture on a twitter account that is for a roofing contractor. Does that make sense?

no it does not
I would need acupuncture blogs to be tweeted to the acupuncture twitter account and home improvement blogs to be tweeted to the roofing twitter account.

of course
But it seems when I set up the rss feed, it seems I can only make one list to tweet to all twitter accounts.
If you check ALL accounts then yes, but if you setup a ROOFING feed, then ONLY check your ROOFING accounts etc

2. I also don't even know how to make a list of rss feeds for twitterdub to tweet because it says you can input the file path containing multiple feeds, but when I input a file path to a txt file of rss feed urls, it says it's an incorrect file path when I know it is not.
errr I have never tested this, I have a feeling that is a labelling error. Just enter the FEED URL into the box
3. What is the difference between the part on twitterdub that shows a twitter bird logo with the rss feed on top of it, and the link chain with the rss feed symbol on top?
click them, the title of the app will tell you what module it is
TWEET RSS
LINK TWEET RSS
4. So far I have not seen evidence of being able to tweet the title, link, and any custom prefix or suffix when tweeting from rss feeds.
I don't understand, title / link - ok make sense. prefix / suffix? What do you mean. Any examples?

Example tweet: Amazon is refunding purchases of unverifiable eclipse eyewear https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/12/amazo ... se-eyewear via @techcrunch

Am I able to do that? Because so far I have only seen that you can post EITHER title OR link. Not title and link. Why would someone want to post the link without the title and vice versa?
The RSS module pulls data from an RSS feed and tweets it (as a tweet / link / image) If your feed contains that information yes you can. But there is not a way to add custom information to it that does NOT exist in the feed

5. I would also like to customize extra prefix or suffix to each rss feed. For example, if I am tweeting from an rss feed from techcrunch, I would like to add the end part in the tweet that says something like "via @techcrunch". But I don't want the same prefix or suffix on every rss feed. If I'm tweeting from mashable's rss feed, I don't want the tweet to say "via @techcrunch". I'd want it to say "via @mashable". Let me know if this is possible.
ahhh ok, I understand your use of pre/suffix now. But no, not possible
So far twitterdub definitely seems more for spamming, etc than for automating certain tasks for twitter accounts of real people or businesses.
I am not sure how you got to that opinion because there is currently no prefix / suffix support for rss feeds.

I just really need it for the latter.
As above, let me know why you think it is the former and not the latter. The program has had options / features added to it as requested by those using it. If people don't requests features, they don't get added (that isn't to say all requests are added... but all considered and discussed)

If I have to run a different instance if I want twitterdub to tweet different things, then I'd be having way too many instances running all the time, it would be so confusing for me... So if that's the case I would think twitterdub is not for me...
As above, you are mistaken in how it works.
goto action tabs
check the accounts to use for the action creating
click Create. The action settings are copied at that time along with the accounts and moved to the processor. You can then create new actions with other accounts and other settings... I think this is your misunderstanding. That you cannot change settings / accounts after creating an action and sending it to the processing tab

This thread makes me feel like what I would like to do will not be possible with twitterdub: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1585&start=10
What exactly?
lisha5684

Post by lisha5684 »

@martin@rootjazz OK, I'm starting to understand how twitterdub works now. LOL. I didn't find the Actions tab until today. I wasn't trying to be negative about the program, I just couldn't see how it was possible to do what I wanted (which is first and foremost to be able to do different things on different accounts). Some of the other stuff is secondary, so either way twitterdub will definitely be useful for me :)

I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond to all of that!
lisha5684

Post by lisha5684 »

What exactly?[/quote]

Title and Link can't both be tweeted when doing rss tweets.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1021&p=28361&hilit=rss+feed#p28361