Q: RSS feeds with some items an image ref and sometimes no image is given...

Support / help / discussion forum for twitter bot
bitcoin

Q: RSS feeds with some items an image ref and sometimes no image is given...

Post by bitcoin »

Hello Martin,

In follow up of viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1021&p=27758#p27758 and an hour I spent listening to another UK voice, I kinda understand the most common situations.

Which brings me to the following question. Both the programmer and I suspected that Tweet Image Rss would be fine if there was an <item> with a missing image when other <item>s in the same RSS feed do have the image reference.

Turns out, when testing with a feed with *no* images, TD only gave errors.
The Tweet RSS function on the other hand does not do images, period.

So my programmer thinks I should mirror every RSS feed to be sure.
I make 1 non-image RSS Action for FEED_ABC and 1 image RSS Action for the same FEED_ABC.

Both will give a lot of errors, but the net results would be that I tweeted all entries either with Action 1 or with Action 2.

Is that a correct reasoning? :)
Last edited by bitcoin on Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
bitcoin

Re: Q: RSS feeds with some items an image ref and sometimes non iamge is given...

Post by bitcoin »

Does my question make any sense to you?
bitcoin

Re: Q: RSS feeds with some items an image ref and sometimes non image is given...

Post by bitcoin »

Update: I can now answer this question: no, it cannot be done. Forget about it!
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1021&start=10#p27866
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Re: Q: RSS feeds with some items an image ref and sometimes non image is given...

Post by martin@rootjazz »

bitcoin wrote:Does my question make any sense to you?
no :)
bitcoin wrote:Hello Martin,

Which brings me to the following question. Both the programmer and I suspected that Tweet Image Rss would be fine if there was an <item> with a missing image when other <item>s in the same RSS feed do have the image reference.
so the feed has 10 <item> blocks. Some have images, some don't.

It "should" be fine, it should scrape the <item> it can and fail on the ones it cannot

Turns out, when testing with a feed with *no* images, TD only gave errors.
why are you trying to tweet image rss with a feed with no images?
The Tweet RSS function on the other hand does not do images, period.
Well no, it is for tweeting text. That is why there is a tweet image rss module, as uploading images to twitter is different to posting tweets of twext...
So my programmer thinks I should mirror every RSS feed to be sure.
I make 1 non-image RSS Action for FEED_ABC and 1 image RSS Action for the same FEED_ABC.
ahh you have a feed which may contain text and images. You want to tweet text when no images and tweet image when an image?

If so yes, you need two actions

Both will give a lot of errors, but the net results would be that I tweeted all entries either with Action 1 or with Action 2.

Is that a correct reasoning? :)
Correct, but they shouldn't be "errors" but detected fails, "failed to get image URL". But more or less one and the same really
bitcoin

Post by bitcoin »

ahh you have a feed which may contain text and images. You want to tweet text when no images and tweet image when an image?

If so yes, you need two actions
Exactly! So it should be possible after all? Ok. Good to know. Current situation is that the RSS feed is built a bit strangely (according to my coder) so even this approach here won't work (see my other RSS post - and not the one with the request for a minute timer). If all goes to plan, I'll be receiving a dedicated dedupe twitter RSS bot rather soon - with a nice GUI :)

For now, I leave TwitterDub + RSS for what it is. Some niche features are gonna be great, for sure, once I start exploring them. First I still have to study on the Watch Tweets tabs :)
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Post by martin@rootjazz »

ok, I am sure you will let me know if you look at it again :)