Multiple accounts under same API

Support / help / discussion forum for twitter bot
Divvy

Multiple accounts under same API

Post by Divvy »

Hello Martin,

I'm newbie regarding your software, so I have a quick question for you.
When we open twitterdub for first time, it asks for API Key and API Secret. When we do this, we can add more accounts using Global Consumer Keys right? It feels automatically the fields OAuth Key and OAuth Secret.

My question is, when a account is added and if only have the fields OAuth Key and OAuth Secret filled, are those accounts using same API Key and API Secret of my main account? If yes, how the limits works here? Are those accounts sharing same limits as main account? Or they have different limits for each account?

I'm asking this because, a few days ago I added 20 accounts under same API Key, and I got this email from Twitter:
This is a notice that your application, xxxxxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxxxxx, is no longer allowed to perform write operations.
Please make sure that your application follows Twitter's API Terms of Service
To request that your application be re-enabled for write operations, please visit our support form.
While this restriction is still in place, please do not attempt to register a new API key for your application without authorization from Twitter. Such an action is a violation of our API Terms of Service and may result in the permanent suspension of your application (as well as any associated developer accounts).
Meanwhile, I had a 2nd API Key and added to my main account, but now all accounts are using their own API Key, just for safe.

But I need to know, it was because using all accounts under same API Key that my API was blocked to perform write operations?

Thanks! :)
lucas

Re: Multiple accounts under same API

Post by lucas »

yes
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Post by martin@rootjazz »

I would go with probably, but using a global api key, in itself is not a major problem. I have lots of accounts using the same key, but they are all doing different things, there isn't really any footprints between them.

I am not using to promote a main account, they are not intereacting with each other, they are not doing the same actions, using the same limits.

A global key is like running a website, where other users can signup to your site and then interact with twitter, thus is allowed (it is what the API keys are infact for).

However, the issue comes when you are running all your accounts in the same way with the same key.

That said, end of the day, is best to have separate keys, as the bot will do it for you, it doesn't make much sense not to
Divvy

Post by Divvy »

@lucas, an reply message with only 3 letters? Seriously? :)

@martin, great explanation, thank you very much buddy!!
I already set all accounts to use different API Keys.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Post by martin@rootjazz »

Divvy wrote:@lucas, an reply message with only 3 letters? Seriously? :)

@martin, great explanation, thank you very much buddy!!
I already set all accounts to use different API Keys.
Lucas is ultimately right though, it more than likely was the cause