What exactly are the API's used for

Support / help / discussion forum for twitter bot
nbhead

What exactly are the API's used for

Post by nbhead »

Hi,

Can you tell me what exactly are the API's used for? Is it only to run searches or also for posting or perhaps something else?

Also, I have several older accounts which are not phone verified, but now I added a new account with phone verification and it seems that now I can use the old accounts. Why is this?

My main concern regarding API's is that all accounts will be using the same API, which in turn makes it very easy for Twitter to spot the bot, which of course is something I don't want. If the API is only used for scraping content, then I guess it perhaps could be OK, but I would like to know for sure what the API is actually used for so I can make an informed decision about its use.

Thanks.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Re: What exactly are the API's used for

Post by martin@rootjazz »

nbhead wrote:Hi,

Can you tell me what exactly are the API's used for? Is it only to run searches or also for posting or perhaps something else?
everything

Also, I have several older accounts which are not phone verified, but now I added a new account with phone verification and it seems that now I can use the old accounts. Why is this?
You need to create CONSUMER API KEYS.

These are created in
apps.twitter.com

These are created by a twitter account.

Once you have your keys. ANY account can then authorise to these consumer keys to generate an OAUTH TOKEN. The oauth token allows you to perform actions to the Twitter API. So if your accounts are NOT phone verified, they must have been authorised to the consumer keys you set in the GLOBAL KEYS on the SETTINGS TAB

[quote[My main concern regarding API's is that all accounts will be using the same API, [/quote]
Then create custom consumer keys for these accounts (once added your phone number)
which in turn makes it very easy for Twitter to spot the bot, which of course is something I don't want.
If you have real accounts, perhaps for your business and some other projects it is fine to have them on the same API. However, if you had something more "spammy", then perhaps you do not want it tied to the same keys, inwhich case, just generate custom keys
If the API is only used for scraping content, then I guess it perhaps could be OK, but I would like to know for sure what the API is actually used for so I can make an informed decision about its use.
The API is used for everything.