Repeating actions require vps?

Support / help / discussion forum for twitter bot
Gimlithestud

Repeating actions require vps?

Post by Gimlithestud »

If i want to set up a repeating action say every 24 hours, would my laptop have to be on with twitterdub running for the action to go through or would it still happen if my laptop was off?
If it wouldnt work with laptop off would a VPS solve this?
And if so would i need any specific/advanced vps or just any basic vps?
Apologies for being a noob lol.
Cheers :D
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Re: Repeating actions require vps?

Post by martin@rootjazz »

Gimlithestud wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:53 pm If i want to set up a repeating action say every 24 hours, would my laptop have to be on with twitterdub running for the action to go through or would it still happen if my laptop was off?
Hi,

The program is a desktop application. So you need to install it on a machine and run it. The program must be on and the machine must be on for it to function.

You can think of the program as personal secretary that you give instructions to do.

Search for this
Filter by that
Save results to this file
Perform XYZ on each result in the file.

The secretary then sits at your machine and performs your instructions.

So just like the secretary can not do any work if the machine is not on, the program is not on. Nor can the application

If it wouldnt work with laptop off would a VPS solve this?
Yes, a VPS is just an internet connected machine you can control
And if so would i need any specific/advanced vps or just any basic vps?
A windows VPS

I recommend Hostwinds (and use myself)
https://rootjazz.com/vps

You would want at least the 1gb memory option for minimal use. 2gb+ for heavier use

You can use the coupon
50% off (first payment)
rj50pcoff

Regards,
Martin
Gimlithestud

Post by Gimlithestud »

Ok thanks Martin I will defintitley be requiring a vps then and will check out hostwinds. :mrgreen: :ugeek:
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Post by martin@rootjazz »

Gimlithestud wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:11 pm Ok thanks Martin I will defintitley be requiring a vps then and will check out hostwinds. :mrgreen: :ugeek:
I won't lie, you can probably find cheaper, but they have first line live support and the tech support is responsive as well.

Since the owner of the company rang "me" up 12 years ago to tell me my spam scripts were maxing out the server and could I fix my coding bugs, whilst I was in SE Asia and confused the hell out of my parents at 3am, back when we were both starting out, I've always stayed with them lol