Post specific image to specific account in bulk

jrichards

Post specific image to specific account in bulk

Postby jrichards » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:58 pm

I want to post specific image to the specific account, example:

c:\images\acc1\qeqw.jpg -> account1
c:\images\acc2\fvvdv.jpg -> account2
c:\images\acc3\gtebd.jpg -> account3

so I ordered the accounts alphabetically, inserted the images in the correct order, unchecked random order, hit post and it get messed up.

The account3 was picked as a first one and picture for acc1 was posted there, even when it was last in the order.

Is this a bug or is there an other way how to achieve that (without making 1 action per account)?

martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Re: Post specific image to specific account in bulk

Postby martin@rootjazz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:18 pm

you cannot assume ordering due to how parelling works (decided by the CPU scheduler in the OS)

The only way is to create separate actions if you want exact images to go to exact accounts

jrichards

Postby jrichards » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:36 pm

Hmm, bummer. Any plans to do something with it? For example loading from the external file in the format like this:

Code: Select all

account_name,path_to_picture,description,tags,...

That would be really great ... creating separate actions when you have hundreds of accounts is really pain in the ass :?

martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Postby martin@rootjazz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:26 pm

No plans at the moment, but I will note your feature suggestion. If more people want it then can consider it.

The issue is, that any way to be specific is going to involve some setup. Whether it is manually creating 100 actions, or whether creating a text file to specify the actions, - both are a pain in the arse.

I was thinking just about mapping an account to an image folder (perhaps with tokens)
ie: c:\path\to\images\#username#

which would allow easy mapping, but that leaves the problem of meta (caption / tags etc) - which would need to be done manually - no way around that I can think of...

But if you have ideas, please let me know, perhaps we can come up with a good solution for everyone

jrichards

Postby jrichards » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:19 am

Prepare the .txt is 10x faster then creating the actions one-by-one ... you just export the account names, put it in the excel, put path to images into another column, export and done.

The mapping is good idea, but like you said, there's problem with meta. That's why I would prefer the .txt file for that.

I let you know, if better idea pops up in my mind :)

martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Postby martin@rootjazz » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:09 pm

Is it that quicker though?

export list of accounts
type in path to each image you want to use
type in caption / tags

vs
click account
specify folder of images
random meta assign or double click and assign meta

tbh I don't think it will be quicker at all as you need to get each path of each image to use. Perhaps maybe if you are just posting 1-2 images, but if you are trying to post 100 images, it will take longer. Then again, in my experience people hate typing in paths, the times I get asked to add a file selector box in the apps so the user doesn't have to type in the path to a file...)

So the issue is, we have a new function, that most won't use and is only quicker (which is debatable) for a very specific use case.

If you are wanting specific meta for each image, at the end of the day it is time consuming (unless you are automating the images to your machine and can also automate a meta file:
sunset-img.jpg
sunset-img.txt

However, with random meta (or meta files), gains could be made by a tokenised action creator (mentioned above)

Actually, could also have a folder meta file.

So in each folder you add, the program will look for "meta.txt", this can then specify the meta for each image with something like

image-name.png,the caption for the image
another-img.jpg,the another image caption

Then just ensure your images are in folders matching the account username and the meta files or global meta exist.

As well the program could auto generate the meta file for you, click a button and it will create meta.txt which lists each file in the folder with an empty caption, so you just open the file and enter the caption for each pre-entered image name

jrichards

Postby jrichards » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:57 pm

martin@rootjazz wrote:Is it that quicker though?

export list of accounts
type in path to each image you want to use
type in caption / tags

vs
click account
specify folder of images
random meta assign or double click and assign meta

tbh I don't think it will be quicker at all as you need to get each path of each image to use. Perhaps maybe if you are just posting 1-2 images, but if you are trying to post 100 images, it will take longer. Then again, in my experience people hate typing in paths, the times I get asked to add a file selector box in the apps so the user doesn't have to type in the path to a file...)

Yeah, I already have list of account in excel, so I just type dir /s /b > img.txt to the command line, copy the paths and the file is ready. It was literally maybe 3 minutes of work for me. When I was creating the action manually, 50 accounts/actions took me more than 20 minutes (not mention that there is higher chance of making mistake, when you have to do a lot of similar steps in a row ... I think I have made about 3 mistakes, so I had to delete the image from the acc and repost the correct one).

So the issue is, we have a new function, that most won't use and is only quicker (which is debatable) for a very specific use case.

If you are wanting specific meta for each image, at the end of the day it is time consuming (unless you are automating the images to your machine and can also automate a meta file:
sunset-img.jpg
sunset-img.txt

However, with random meta (or meta files), gains could be made by a tokenised action creator (mentioned above)

Actually, could also have a folder meta file.

So in each folder you add, the program will look for "meta.txt", this can then specify the meta for each image with something like

image-name.png,the caption for the image
another-img.jpg,the another image caption

Then just ensure your images are in folders matching the account username and the meta files or global meta exist.

As well the program could auto generate the meta file for you, click a button and it will create meta.txt which lists each file in the folder with an empty caption, so you just open the file and enter the caption for each pre-entered image name

But I have to admit, this is probably better idea. Question is, what is easier to implement and add to the bot? If it has chance to get to the bot in the near future, then I'm voting for your idea ;)

martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Postby martin@rootjazz » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:44 pm

For it to be added it will have to be useful to many users.

At the moment, just brain dumping ideas in the hope we can come up with something that works and is as easy as possible.

The problem with your idea is people won't use it as it requires exporting, CMDs to list the folder contents and is quite technical. The number of people who can / will do that is small (probably just you ;-)

I think a default meta file will work and if it can be generated makes it more simple as well. Should be quite simple to code as well:

add folder
check for meta.txt
match image name to line
get caption

create meta
scan folder add names to file

A bit more complex, but not that much. Although this has the problem that you won't ever see the images in the images list, it will just create the actions in the background, so you cannot confirm things.

tokenised load
foreach selected account,
check for acc specific token
grab images
check meta
add action specific to acc

I cannot really think of a better / more simple solution than that

jrichards

Postby jrichards » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:58 pm

allright man, so let's implement this! :)

martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Postby martin@rootjazz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:47 pm

sorry if I gave the impression it was at the front of things todo.

Got quite a lot of things to investigate from over the holidays, plus some updates to fix broken functions due to site changes.

After all that, then can look at new features.

Not going to be this week, possibly next, but more likely the week after (no new issues coming to light)

Return to “Instadub - instagram bot”