Pre-Sale Questions

Ask any support / help / issues / problem or question related to TumblingJazz
banditim

Pre-Sale Questions

Post by banditim »

I have some questions before I decide on making the purchase if you have a spare minute:

1. I own a backconnect proxy source that rotates my IPs every 10 minutes. Obviously this setup is great for account creation and scraping websites, however what have you noticed with Tumblr banning if you login with a completely different IP/country a day later (or even 10 minutes later)? The bot would create the account with one IP, then 10 minutes later it'd have a new proxy assigned to my port... is that going to cause banning? Would I be better off not using proxies for the logging in/submiting/following, etc?

2. How is tumblr's ban rate when using goo.gl or bit.ly links?

3. From what I've read, is one of the best ways to monetize without getting banned is to post links to your money site, and then have adsense/etc on the money site? I want to avoid being banned at all costs. I assume you should only post your website URL every X actual posts you make so you're not blatantly advertising.

4. Any other tips/tricks to avoid banning would be great. Would be nice to have a checklist that you create that says "do this, this, and that exactly as I say and you will see the lowest ban rate possible".

Thanks!
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Re: Pre-Sale Questions

Post by martin@rootjazz »

Hi, I will do my best to answer your questions, but please be aware your questions are experience based, there are no definitive answers, my experience will be different to yours and different to the next. As it is based on so many parameters, so take everything with a pinch of salt and try and get *as many* responses as possible. I would recommend posting to the BHW tumblr forum to get a more rounded response.

1. I own a backconnect proxy source that rotates my IPs every 10 minutes. Obviously this setup is great for account creation and scraping websites, however what have you noticed with Tumblr banning if you login with a completely different IP/country a day later (or even 10 minutes later)? The bot would create the account with one IP, then 10 minutes later it'd have a new proxy assigned to my port... is that going to cause banning? Would I be better off not using proxies for the logging in/submiting/following, etc?
No idea - have never done this myself. I use private proxies assigned to each account. Then that account always uses that proxy

2. How is tumblr's ban rate when using goo.gl or bit.ly links?
Have never been banned for using url redirects. I don't think it is a factor. Using redirects is normal user behaviour (thanks to twitter forcing URL shortners, normal (non bot / non aff marketers use them all the time) Would be crazy to ban them
3. From what I've read, is one of the best ways to monetize without getting banned is to post links to your money site, and then have adsense/etc on the money site?
Yes, often referred to as "funneling users". Get them off tumblr as QUICK AS CAN where you are bound by their rules, to your site where there are no rules and you can use every trick in the book to get them to your offer / your ads

I want to avoid being banned at all costs.
Wrong attitude in my opinion. Tumblr does not want aff marketers, does not want you to get users off tumblr to your sites. You are breaking the rules. Depending on your niche, your ban rate could be high (adult / nsfw is high for example). Better to be thinking. When I get banned, is it going to effect hugely my earnings. So have backup sites, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Again niche and usage dependant, but tumblr can be seen as a kind of churn and burn approach. Obviously more so on the niches, flower arranging is probably quite safe for example

I assume you should only post your website URL every X actual posts you make so you're not blatantly advertising.
Again this is usage, there are no rules. But it does make sense to not post your URL if it is pointless to do so. I.e. don't post your NSFW site URL to a post on flower arranging. This will annoy the users who want to see flower arranging and get some NSFW link. They will complain. Complaints are bad. Annoying users is bad. Bad means bans. But you can void posting your link, but using the random bitly URL redirctor. So every post you make, posts your URL with a uunique bitly or goo.gl

quote]4. Any other tips/tricks to avoid banning would be great. Would be nice to have a checklist that you create that says "do this, this, and that exactly as I say and you will see the lowest ban rate possible".
As I say, there are no rules, what happens to me is different to others. Some users keep within the rules (ish) and get banned. Others spam hard and do not.

But I would say
1) Don't annoy
2) don't over post / reblog / spam
3) cross your fingers
dubz

Post by dubz »

banditim wrote: 1. I own a backconnect proxy source that rotates my IPs every 10 minutes. Obviously this setup is great for account creation and scraping websites, however what have you noticed with Tumblr banning if you login with a completely different IP/country a day later (or even 10 minutes later)? The bot would create the account with one IP, then 10 minutes later it'd have a new proxy assigned to my port... is that going to cause banning? Would I be better off not using proxies for the logging in/submiting/following, etc?
I can suggest using backconnect proxies for account creation, then use a proxy with a static IP for controlling accounts.
banditim wrote: 2. How is tumblr's ban rate when using goo.gl or bit.ly links?
Agreed with Martin on this one. If you're concerned about it being a factor, consider setting up your own URL shortener using a platform like yourls.
banditim wrote: 3. From what I've read, is one of the best ways to monetize without getting banned is to post links to your money site, and then have adsense/etc on the money site? I want to avoid being banned at all costs. I assume you should only post your website URL every X actual posts you make so you're not blatantly advertising.
Spreading out links may or may not be seen as less spammy.. definitely recommend doing A/B testing on this one. Try adding a link every post on one account, then spreading them out on another to see what happens. Again, I agree with Martin about keeping a "bouquet" of sites to figure out what works for you in your niche.
banditim wrote: 4. Any other tips/tricks to avoid banning would be great. Would be nice to have a checklist that you create that says "do this, this, and that exactly as I say and you will see the lowest ban rate possible".
Try to keep the IPs that create accounts as diverse as possible. If your backconnect proxy pool is running low, I can recommend checking out a site like https://rotatingproxies.com
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Post by martin@rootjazz »

dubz wrote:
banditim wrote:
banditim wrote: 2. How is tumblr's ban rate when using goo.gl or bit.ly links?
Agreed with Martin on this one. If you're concerned about it being a factor, consider setting up your own URL shortener using a platform like yourls.
Setting up your own shortner may be worse as you now have an unknown URL appearing all the time only for you - a footprint. Trying to hide in the multitude of bitlys is probably a better bet, but it can be resolved, Tumblr can find out where it points to, should they want to now or later
banditim wrote: 3. From what I've read, is one of the best ways to monetize without getting banned is to post links to your money site, and then have adsense/etc on the money site? I want to avoid being banned at all costs. I assume you should only post your website URL every X actual posts you make so you're not blatantly advertising.
Spreading out links may or may not be seen as less spammy.. definitely recommend doing A/B testing on this one. Try adding a link every post on one account, then spreading them out on another to see what happens. Again, I agree with Martin about keeping a "bouquet" of sites to figure out what works for you in your niche.
There is a new token

%ignore_50%

where 50 can be any number. Set this in your meta and the meta will be ignore X% of the time, so above, the meta (url link perhaps) is only assigned to 50% of the the posts, 20%, and it is set to 50%

But linking to your website, is a footprint, if you are too aggressive if getting users off tumblr to your site it is deemed a breach of TOS and they may ban you

A link is easy to detect, a watermark, not so much (and if you are reblogged will also show).

banditim wrote: 4. Any other tips/tricks to avoid banning would be great. Would be nice to have a checklist that you create that says "do this, this, and that exactly as I say and you will see the lowest ban rate possible".
Try to keep the IPs that create accounts as diverse as possible. If your backconnect proxy pool is running low, I can recommend checking out a site like https://rotatingproxies.com[/quote]
[/quote]

No footprints
No spam
Do not annoy
Go slow, if someone says you can post 100 a day, does not mean you should.

But as always, test review change test repeat

Maybe go hard and earn and get banned frequently is more profitable than slow long lasting accounts