Add Referrer To Plays

Ask any support / help / issues / problem or question related to Soundcloud Manager
Quality1

Add Referrer To Plays

Post by Quality1 »

Is this something you can look into adding for a future update?

Something where we can load in a list of URLs from a text file that are chosen at random.
And maybe a percentage that we can set that would determine no referrer plays vs. referrer plays.

Doable?
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Re: Add Referrer To Plays

Post by martin@rootjazz »

the plays are from the website, so the referrer has to be soundcloud
Quality1

Post by Quality1 »

Can you explain this further? What is the difference between an actual user visiting the song URL versus how your software generates a play?
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

when yo play a track on soundcloud, the referrer is soundcloud. Changing that referrer will make the track not the same as when it is played on soundcloud.

As to how plays are made from the widgets hosted on other sites, I don't know. Not checked
Quality1

Post by Quality1 »

I still don't quite understand. SoundCloud's stats section tells you where traffic has been referred from. (eg. Facebook, Twitter, etc)
In the case of your play bot, it comes back as "anonymous" or no referrer.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Sounddcloud tracks can be played
* on the soundcloud website
* via the embed widget from any webpage

SCM *should* replicate plays via the soundcloud website. That is the control it automates, the calls it makes replicate that player. Thus the referrer must be set as soundcloud.com

The other embed widgets *may* work differently with different calls (may not I don't know). But to change the referrerer to something which perhaps is not valid would not be a good idea.

But if the referrer is coming back as anon, i.e. not the same as soundcloud.com plays, then perhaps something has changed.

I'll take a look