Plays total from SCManager doesnt match SoundCloud Stats

Discussions to do with Soundcloud Manager. Do not use for support, use the dedicated support forum for help requests
allfreerepost5

Plays total from SCManager doesnt match SoundCloud Stats

Post by allfreerepost5 »

Hello,

I have been noticing something odd with regards to plays generated by SCManager.

When watching the processing log for a running stream action, I notice that all of my private proxies are working 100%, no fails, and streams are working as expected. However, when I go to Soundcloud to look at the stats of the track we are running the stream action on, I notice that only 1/10 successful plays from SCManager are getting counted by Soundcloud (i.e if I set SCManager to stream a track 1000 times and all are successful, only 100 show up on the actual track stats.)

Is Soundcloud caching plays like YouTube now? (ie. you don't see immediate results in stats)? Has Soundcloud restricted the play capabilities of Rootjazz's API access? Would love an explination for this phenomenon as I have been unable to figure it out.
allfreerepost5

Re: Plays total from SCManager doesnt match SoundCloud Stats

Post by allfreerepost5 »

To update: I've tried multi-threading, and pause after play, neither create accurate results
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Post by martin@rootjazz »

Soundcloud have started to be more strict in plays they ignore. The requests go through as if they are counted, but are not. There is no way to know if they will be counted or not from the request, so must assume they are.
allfreerepost5

Post by allfreerepost5 »

Was thinking about this over the last few days and how we could overcome this hurdle. I'm entirely ignorant to programming and what that actually entails but logically my solution is sound.

I was thinking we could build in a stats scrape that reads how many were registered in a loop and repeat action. Something like: if generating 5000 plays,first scrape stats to get baseline, run a loop of 1000 successes, pause and scrape stats, read # of plays and compare to get # of plays generated in loop, repeat process until desired # of plays are generated and reflected in stats count.

Again, totally clueless when it comes to what this all means for programming, but wanted to share and get your thoughts.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Post by martin@rootjazz »

allfreerepost5 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:07 pm Was thinking about this over the last few days and how we could overcome this hurdle. I'm entirely ignorant to programming and what that actually entails but logically my solution is sound.

I was thinking we could build in a stats scrape that reads how many were registered in a loop and repeat action. Something like: if generating 5000 plays,first scrape stats to get baseline, run a loop of 1000 successes, pause and scrape stats, read # of plays and compare to get # of plays generated in loop, repeat process until desired # of plays are generated and reflected in stats count.

Again, totally clueless when it comes to what this all means for programming, but wanted to share and get your thoughts.
that would work, but if your plays are not counting, or just 1% of the proxies are counting, you are going to keep hammering the plays, which if the IPs are only temporarily blocked, could push them into the permanently blocked area.

Also, just scraping the details after each play, is not always a valid mechanism, due to server caching and not always getting the most latest information from SC.

So it isn't just a simple update, stop when start plays+assigned plays is met, it needs protections, it needs checks, it needs decisions on when to break out, ideally figuring out which proxies are working which are not, deducing if a proxy isn't working now, will it work in now+30 seconds. So things get complcated quickly
allfreerepost5

Post by allfreerepost5 »

For sure. Totally get it now. Thanks for the detail! Appreciate the walk-through