Is there a function to reply/download twitter comments?

Support / help / discussion forum for twitter bot
lsberic

Is there a function to reply/download twitter comments?

Post by lsberic »

I might be totally missing this, but there does not appear to be a function to download twitter comments like the DM function or reply to comments. Is that right?
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Re: Is there a function to reply/download twitter comments?

Post by martin@rootjazz »

To reply to comments, use the SEARCH AND REPLY module.
Set CUSTOM SEARCH to:
input: the tweet url
STEPS:
REPLIES TO TWEET

As to download comments / replies, no, there is not function to currently do that. What are you wanting? Download just the text? Or everything? images / videos etc?
lsberic

Post by lsberic »

martin@rootjazz wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:21 pm
As to download comments / replies, no, there is not function to currently do that. What are you wanting? Download just the text? Or everything? images / videos etc?
Yes. I think a function that will check a twitter url or the timeline for comments/replies to posted tweets would be very helpful.

I'd also like a way to respond as well either with a comment or a like. Right now the only way I can respond to comments/replies is to login from my browser and respond.

I would be happy if it were just the text. Right now I don't get any video or image comment/replies, just text.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

lsberic wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:25 pm
Yes. I think a function that will check a twitter url or the timeline for comments/replies to posted tweets would be very helpful.
Your reply doesn't make sense. You replied to my response that there is no tweet downloader. But your reply sounds like you just want to check for replies, which you can do already via CUSTOM SEARCH as described above - just you cannot download tweets. Is that what you want to do?

I'd also like a way to respond as well either with a comment or a like. Right now the only way I can respond to comments/replies is to login from my browser and respond.
You can. CUSTOM SEARCH > enter the URL of the tweet as input and set steps as

TWEET REPLIES

and you can comment /like the replies of a tweet.

More info on custom search:

Twitterdub custom search tutorial
- Explains how to build a search and specify how many results per step (optional)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYP9Gvh2n-M

I would be happy if it were just the text. Right now I don't get any video or image comment/replies, just text.
Again can you confirm EXACTLY what you mean. You want to download the TEXT of the tweet to a file? If so, you can do that via the SCRAPER tab (custom search as above) and output details, you will get a CSV of the tweet with some of the properties including tweet body (text)

Regards,
Martin
lsberic

Post by lsberic »

Your reply doesn't make sense. You replied to my response that there is no tweet downloader. But your reply sounds like you just want to check for replies, which you can do already via CUSTOM SEARCH as described above - just you cannot download tweets. Is that what you want to do?

Actually I made no such claim. If you look at the title of this post, its a question. And my OP says:
lsberic wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:00 pm I might be totally missing this, but there does not appear to be a function to download twitter comments like the DM function or reply to comments . Is that right?
You are the one who replied there was no such function to download tweets and asked what I was looking for.

You can. CUSTOM SEARCH > enter the URL of the tweet as input and set steps as

TWEET REPLIES

and you can comment /like the replies of a tweet.

More info on custom search:

Twitterdub custom search tutorial
- Explains how to build a search and specify how many results per step (optional)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYP9Gvh2n-M

Yes, but how do i know which tweets have new replies?

What I was looking for is something automated that would check regularly for new replies instead of digging through my timeline which could have hundred of tweets and dozens or replies.
Again can you confirm EXACTLY what you mean. You want to download the TEXT of the tweet to a file? If so, you can do that via the SCRAPER tab (custom search as above) and output details, you will get a CSV of the tweet with some of the properties including tweet body (text)

Regards,
Martin
Scrapper tab and custom search works if you have EXACT URL of the tweet as you described.

The situation I am describing is if you do not have an exact url. In addition,the search would have to find only new replies not all replies/comments.

Also, as I explained in my OP, I was thinking of something like the INBOX SCRAPPER (which I called the DM function) that already exists. This downloads new inbox messages into twitterdub, but if saving them as a txt file is easier that works too.

Finally, unless I am missing it, your video does not explain how to reply to a comment/reply using twitterdub.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

lsberic wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:38 am

Actually I made no such claim. If you look at the title of this post, its a question. And my OP says:
As much as I wish I could just go on the title of threads and assume people stick on topic, I assure you cannot...

Thus your reply:
This is what confused me. This sounds like you are asking about the ability to check for comments replies. Well it doesn't "sound like" that is exactly what you put. With no reference to downloading content. So I have to assume the question is as asked. Which *is* possible as described above

Yes, but how do i know which tweets have new replies?
There is no exact equivilient of the DM inbox module to download new replies. You can do "something" akin to it, but not exactly. As I said, there is no DM INBOX downloader for replies / comments with same functionality. But you can download the replies from scraper tab with details, which "might" be sufficient for your needs, but it isn't an inbox replacement

Regards,
Martin
Scrapper tab and custom search works if you have EXACT URL of the tweet as you described.

The situation I am describing is if you do not have an exact url. In addition,the search would have to find only new replies not all replies/comments.
Then build a custom search to perform as you want. Have a watch of the posted CUSTOM SEARCH tutorial to learn how to use the function.

But if you wanted replies to your posts:
input: your profile url
Steps:
USER TWEETS (n)
REPLIES (m)

where (n) and (m) are the numbers to pull of each (covered in tutorial on custom search)

Also, as I explained in my OP, I was thinking of something like the INBOX SCRAPPER (which I called the DM function) that already exists. This downloads new inbox messages into twitterdub, but if saving them as a txt file is easier that works too.
As above, this EXACT functionality is not possible

Finally, unless I am missing it, your video does not explain how to reply to a comment/reply using twitterdub.
goto SEARCH AND REPLY tab
Set your replies / comments
Set your search to find the tweets to reply to

Not entirely sure if there is a tutorial for the search and reply tab, might be though
lsberic

Post by lsberic »

martin@rootjazz wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:30 pm
Then build a custom search to perform as you want. Have a watch of the posted CUSTOM SEARCH tutorial to learn how to use the function.

But if you wanted replies to your posts:
input: your profile url
Steps:
USER TWEETS (n)
REPLIES (m)

where (n) and (m) are the numbers to pull of each (covered in tutorial on custom search)

I don't think this will do what I am suggested, for the reasons I have stated, but willing to look into it.

goto SEARCH AND REPLY tab
Set your replies / comments
Set your search to find the tweets to reply to

Not entirely sure if there is a tutorial for the search and reply tab, might be though
Yeah, this search and reply functionality is very confusing and not exactly what I was looking for. I think I recalling seeing a video tutorial. Will take a look and give it a shot.

Very possible there's nothing that can be done but to handle things manually.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

lsberic wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:43 pm
I don't think this will do what I am suggested, for the reasons I have stated, but willing to look into it.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. What you want to do exactly: is NOT possible.
You cannot scrape only new replies like in the DM module. That is NOT possible.

But you can do something that "might" be useful to and give you what you want "sort of".

Yeah, this search and reply functionality is very confusing and not exactly what I was looking for. I think I recalling seeing a video tutorial. Will take a look and give it a shot.

Very possible there's nothing that can be done but to handle things manually.
If you want to REPLY to replies of a post (or like) then you can do it.

Set the search.
Check the option "stop if already processed" so you only get new replies.
Then set your replies (to the replies)

As above, I am not entirely sure I understand everything.

To confirm
1) you want to download the text body of new replies (same as INBOX module). This you cannot do exactly (currently - maybe I can add an option to help out, but currently you can NOT

2) Reply to Replies of a tweet.
This you very much CAN do.
lsberic

Post by lsberic »

martin@rootjazz wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:48 am

To confirm
1) you want to download the text body of new replies (same as INBOX module). This you cannot do exactly (currently - maybe I can add an option to help out, but currently you can NOT

2) Reply to Replies of a tweet.
This you very much CAN do.
I'll dig into this in the next couple of days. I'm getting more and more comment/replies to my twitter account so using what twitterdub has to offer will be interesting.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

ok let me know and we can try and get this sorted for you :)