Question about follow/tweets. Why not clear after sending to processor?

Support / help / discussion forum for twitter bot
lsberic

Question about follow/tweets. Why not clear after sending to processor?

Post by lsberic »

As best I can tell, when a request is sent to the processor the request is not cleared from twitterdub. This is a bit of an annoyance when running with multiple accounts.

For instance, I like to change the “adv pre actions” and the “user filter” settings in the follow function for different accounts.

I ran into a problem where follows were not happening for one account. Then I realized the wrong “include words” were in the account, so I had to start all over again.

I think a simple solution could be to have twitterdub clear each setting after sending to the processor and have a "save" function before clearing so that the user can choose to save the settings. I would then also have an import or restore function so that these setting can easily be recalled.

Not having the system clear itself after sending to the processor becomes really problematic when tweeting and a few questions come up:
  • 1. When setting up an image tweet – after importing the image and sending to the processors, can I delete the tweets and set up new ones for a new account? If so, why doesn’t the program just do that on its own?
  • 2. When sending out an image tweet(s), when the tweet is sent to the processor, can the source files be deleted? Why not have the program delete or move the files to a new subfolder (called “sent”) once sent to the processor?
With respect to watch folders:
  • 3. When setting up a watch folder for image tweets, how long do I need to keep the files in the directory after sending to the processor? After a tweet is sent, if the files are not deleted, will they resend the tweet when the watch folder process is run again? If not, will TD waist processor time going through all the files to see if they are unique before sending? Why not have the program delete or move the files to a new subfolder (called “sent”) once the process is finished?
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Re: Question about follow/tweets. Why not clear after sending to processor?

Post by martin@rootjazz »

lsberic wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:33 pm As best I can tell, when a request is sent to the processor the request is not cleared from twitterdub. This is a bit of an annoyance when running with multiple accounts.

For instance, I like to change the “adv pre actions” and the “user filter” settings in the follow function for different accounts.

I ran into a problem where follows were not happening for one account. Then I realized the wrong “include words” were in the account, so I had to start all over again.

I think a simple solution could be to have twitterdub clear each setting after sending to the processor
I can understand your annoyance with the above, but that is how it has worked for years, if I changed it overnight I can assure you there would be many irate emails asking why something was changed because one person requested it.
  • 1. When setting up an image tweet – after importing the image and sending to the processors, can I delete the tweets and set up new ones for a new account? If so, why doesn’t the program just do that on its own?
Yes once action created, the values left in the controls do NOT affect the action.
As to why do they not clear automatically - they just don't. Why? decision made not to 7 years ago. I understand you want them to, others don't.

• 2. When sending out an image tweet(s), when the tweet is sent to the processor, can the source files be deleted? Why not have the program delete or move the files to a new subfolder (called “sent”) once sent to the processor?
No, the image filepaths are stored. Why are they not moved? Well if they did, the question would come in "why did you move the images I didn't want you too".

End of the day, I cannot win. Please some annoy some
With respect to watch folders:
  • 3. When setting up a watch folder for image tweets, how long do I need to keep the files in the directory after sending to the processor? After a tweet is sent, if the files are not deleted, will they resend the tweet when the watch folder process is run again?
Watch folder will move the files as all files in watch folder are read when action runs and processed
Why not have the program delete or move the files to a new subfolder (called “sent”) once the process is finished?
Are you ask "why doesn't the program do this" without even knowing if that is valid question to what happens? :D
lsberic

Post by lsberic »

martin@rootjazz wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:12 pm
I can understand your annoyance with the above, but that is how it has worked for years, if I changed it overnight I can assure you there would be many irate emails asking why something was changed because one person requested it.
Ok.
Yes once action created, the values left in the controls do NOT affect the action.
As to why do they not clear automatically - they just don't. Why? decision made not to 7 years ago. I understand you want them to, others don't.
Ok. Good to know.
No, the image filepaths are stored. Why are they not moved? Well if they did, the question would come in "why did you move the images I didn't want you too".

End of the day, I cannot win. Please some annoy some
Ok.
Are you ask "why doesn't the program do this" without even knowing if that is valid question to what happens? :D
That's why you ask instead of making a declarative statement :)
Honestly, what I observed previously is that the images would post and not be deleted.

What I see now is that the files are deleted when used as a watch folder. However, when simply adding the image using the file function, the image is not deleted after being sent to processor. Is that to be expected?

Also, when using the watch folder, "file not valid" error is posting endlessly for the file Thumbs.db. The directory is empty.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

lsberic wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:18 am
Also, when using the watch folder, "file not valid" error is posting endlessly for the file Thumbs.db. The directory is empty.

Folder is not empty, it contains thumbs.db. Maybe you are not showing hidden files in your windows setting. Usually you can set this TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS > VIEW > show hidden files / folders / drives

I also like to uncheck HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN TYPES, but that's up to you
lsberic

Post by lsberic »

martin@rootjazz wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:21 pm
Folder is not empty, it contains thumbs.db. Maybe you are not showing hidden files in your windows setting. Usually you can set this TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS > VIEW > show hidden files / folders / drives

I also like to uncheck HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN TYPES, but that's up to you
The relevant setting for me was to untick "Hide protected operating system files" and select "Show hidden files, folders and drives".
lsberic

Post by lsberic »

Now I'm getting a log full of "Folder is empty..."
It appears to be taking up processing time.
Is this expected?
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

action runs, checks folder. Folder IS empty - it logs folder is empty.

Yes it will take some CPU time, as it has to check. The only way to use 0 CPU time is for the action not to run
lsberic

Post by lsberic »

martin@rootjazz wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:44 pm action runs, checks folder. Folder IS empty - it logs folder is empty.

Yes it will take some CPU time, as it has to check. The only way to use 0 CPU time is for the action not to run
What's also happening, from what I can see, it is preventing new operations for running.

So, I allow 5 processes to run and 5 accounts are all running continually looking for what is in an empty watch folder.

Is this expected? If so, how do I pause the process without eliminating it all together?

The function is set to repeat every hour with 5 max uploads with a random pause of 1-9 seconds.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

lsberic wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:24 pm
martin@rootjazz wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:44 pm action runs, checks folder. Folder IS empty - it logs folder is empty.

What's also happening, from what I can see, it is preventing new operations for running.

So, I allow 5 processes to run and 5 accounts are all running continually looking for what is in an empty watch folder.

Is this expected? If so, how do I pause the process without eliminating it all together?

The function is set to repeat every hour with 5 max uploads with a random pause of 1-9 seconds.
Twitterdub watch folder should NOT be a permanent action. Meaning it runs, checks folder, processes any new items, if none, then it reschedules itself to run when you specified. So that could check every 1 hour, check every 24 hours, check every1 minute

How did you set it up?
How quickly is the action rescheduling?

If you don't know, submit logs and I will tell you
HELP > LOGS > SUBMIT

then send your logs ID - the first 4 numbers is sufficient (displayed after successful uploading of logs)

Regards,
Martin
lsberic

Post by lsberic »

martin@rootjazz wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:02 pm How did you set it up?
How quickly is the action rescheduling?

If you don't know, submit logs and I will tell you
HELP > LOGS > SUBMIT

then send your logs ID - the first 4 numbers is sufficient (displayed after successful uploading of logs)

Regards,
Martin
It should be set up as mentioned in my previous post.

Repeat every hour. Max 5 uploads. Rest 1-9 seconds.

Submitted log ID: 3220

Thanks