Can twitterdub track trending topics, then scrape and retweet?

Support / help / discussion forum for twitter bot
lsberic

Re: Can twitterdub track trending topics, then scrape and retweet?

Post by lsberic »

martin@rootjazz wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:52 pm Sorry for not understanding, but I don't understand what you are trying to do
But the main thing is to be able grab trends sorted by keywords and then being able to retweet useful information in an automated fashion.
So you want to
1) get a list of trending topics
2) manually create tweets for each trending hashtag
3) schedule those curated tweets to post out that day?
Yes.
martin@rootjazz wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:52 pm
Again, maybe I just don't understand you correctly. But I cannot see any benefit to
a) scraping tweets
b) checking for web links
c) scraping weblinks and looking for links back to social sites.

I cannot think of any use that would be. If I am going to add a feature, I need to understand it and agree that it will be beneficial to multiple users or can be promoted as a unique feature that could drum up more sales.
I am by no means an expert on twitter. I use it much more now, but I really want to ramp things up.

The problem as I see it is this. How do you get the drop on new information on a trending keyword? You spot the keyword when it trends and you retweet.

And that's fine.

But what if there is more information that comes out regarding that keyword/topic? You have to wait until someone tweets it out first. But what if you can tweet it out first?

Your account gains authenticity, you gain followers and your account grows.

How can you do this? If you can grab the link provided by the original tweet and see if the source has a tweet function on their website, and you can monitor that page and when updates occur, you can get the drop on new information before anyone else sends it out.

The example I used, although I am not doing it, is black friday the biggest sale day of the year. To get the best deal, it is essential to know about it first! Then you have the best chance to snag a good buy for the holiday before it sells out. So timing is of the essence.

So wouldn't it be great if a person who is a regular Amazon shopper tweets a black friday deal that they found and that tweet is a link to Amazon's black friday sales page (indulge me -- I don't know if Amazon has twitter link on its page, but lets assume it does).

That item starts trending. If twitterdub could find that tweet, retweet and then, grab the link, then look for other tweet functions on the website or new deals that appear on the website that can be re tweeted all in an automated fashion, it would be huge.

Doing this, an account could grow massive followers by being the first to send out tweets on a given Amazon sale.

I think this application has far reaching uses beyond sales, but that is generally my thinking.

I am by no means and expert on twitter so I don't know if this would get you banned from twitter or what kind of resources it would cause twittedub to use, I just think, after looking at that scrapebox plugin, using the same function in an automated fashion with twitterdub could be very useful.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Post by martin@rootjazz »

lsberic wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:20 pm

So wouldn't it be great if a person who is a regular Amazon shopper tweets a black friday deal that they found and that tweet is a link to Amazon's black friday sales page (indulge me -- I don't know if Amazon has twitter link on its page, but lets assume it does).

That item starts trending. If twitterdub could find that tweet, retweet and then, grab the link, then look for other tweet functions on the website or new deals that appear on the website that can be re tweeted all in an automated fashion, it would be huge.
you say find other "tweet this" buttons / links on the WEBSITE? Or did you mean web page? Because if you mean website, then your example of amazon means:

pull link in tweet to get amazon page
scrape all of amazon and tweet random "tweet this" link.

Not going to work.

If you actually meant web page, then that page has already been tweeted and is trending (hence how you found it) so I see no merit.
Doing this, an account could grow massive followers by being the first to send out tweets on a given Amazon sale.
I have never seen trending topics this specific. it is normally things like "#impeachment #extinctionrebellion" very generic and obviously getting huge amounts of posting on it for it to trend.

Let me make an addition so the program can dump out the trends returned by twitter. Then you can manually check into them, as to whether your idea is valid. Honestly, I don't think it is. But I am happy to be proved wrong if you have the evidence for it. Just too often some one has come along with a "killer idea". I did the work and, well it wasn't And a few hours of my time was wasted for a function that was used once and disagred and never used again. So I really want to avoid that :)
lsberic

Post by lsberic »

martin@rootjazz wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:05 pm
you say find other "tweet this" buttons / links on the WEBSITE? Or did you mean web page? Because if you mean website, then your example of amazon means:

pull link in tweet to get amazon page
scrape all of amazon and tweet random "tweet this" link.

Not going to work.

If you actually meant web page or even website, then that page has already been tweeted and is trending (hence how you found it) so I see no merit.
Web page or website. The overall goal is to get the drop on new information that can be gleaned from the website associated with my keyword when it trends.

My thinking is that any twitter function on a website is going to be regularly updated with new information. But not all tweets being sent by the website will be related to my interests/keyword.

So with this function, I am first inline to get and disseminate new tweets associated with my keyword.
martin@rootjazz wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:05 pm I have never seen trending topics this specific. it is normally things like "#impeachment #extinctionrebellion" very generic and obviously getting huge amounts of posting on it for it to trend.

Let me make an addition so the program can dump out the trends returned by twitter. Then you can manually check into them, as to whether your idea is valid. Honestly, I don't think it is. But I am happy to be proved wrong if you have the evidence for it. Just too often some one has come along with a "killer idea". I did the work and, well it wasn't And a few hours of my time was wasted for a function that was used once and disagred and never used again. So I really want to avoid that :)
Believe me, I don't want to add any additional work or waisted time for you.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

https://rootjazz.com/twitterdub/updatetesting.html

scraper tab, near bottom you can scrape and view trends for your accounts
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

lsberic wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:22 pm
Believe me, I don't want to add any additional work or waisted time for you.
I know, but it happens :D

Anyway, the above link will scrape you the trending hashes for you. If you can check tweets returned with that hash, find links, follow them and get the drop on new about to go trending terms. Let me know, detail me exactly what you found, how you did and I can check it out and we can discuss further about added.
lsberic

Post by lsberic »

martin@rootjazz wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:10 pm

I know, but it happens :D
Ah to be a businessman...

Anyway, the above link will scrape you the trending hashes for you. If you can check tweets returned with that hash, find links, follow them and get the drop on new about to go trending terms. Let me know, detail me exactly what you found, how you did and I can check it out and we can discuss further about added.
Man you are hardcore. I did not expect such a quick turnaround. Will take a look and report back.

Thanks!
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

lsberic wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:33 pm Will take a look and report back.
Please do, and detail your findings.

i.e.

used #trendinghash
found tweet: https://twitter.com/user/status/02973982738927938
found link: http://linkontweet.com
found social urls on above page: x, y, z
BINGO x went viral the next day.

Or something so I can see exactly what you did and what was good about it. Of course, anything you want to keep private, just email to me instead of using forum

Code: Select all

support[at]rootjazz[dot]com

Regards,
Martin
lsberic

Post by lsberic »

Is this going to find all trending hashes or specific ones? I'm not looking to find all trending terms, only specific ones, hence the emphasis on keywords.

And am I right to assume twitterdub is using twitter to determine when a hashtag is trending or can the program determine after x number of tweets with the hashtag to begin monitoring to see if the term starts trending?

Finally, is this going to output as a downloadable spreadsheet?
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

lsberic wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:43 pm

Is this going to find all trending hashes or specific ones? I'm not looking to find all trending terms, only specific ones, hence the emphasis on keywords.
As explained above, it finds the trending terms for the location specified for your account.
top right it will say TRENDS, click the link for more and you can get about 20 trends.
This is what is shown.
And am I right to assume twitterdub is using twitter to determine when a hashtag is trending or can the program determine after x number of tweets with the hashtag to begin monitoring to see if the term starts trending?
Yes, these are trends given by twitter for your account
Finally, is this going to output as a downloadable spreadsheet?
no, it shows a list, you can copy them and save them how you want

Regards,
Martin
lsberic

Post by lsberic »

This scraper tool is very powerful. I love it. Amazing all that can be done.

martin@rootjazz wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:54 pm
As explained above, it finds the trending terms for the location specified for your account.
top right it will say TRENDS, click the link for more and you can get about 20 trends.
This is what is shown.

What i was describing in this thread was this:
1. user enters the keyword.
2. user instructs twitterdub to check the keyword for x period of time.
3. if the keyword is tweeted out y number of times (by different accounts) over x period of time it is considered trending.
4. twitterdub then performs an action (like, retweet, scrape url for more twitter links, or send out a custom tweet with the trending term,etc)