How to RT Search Term from Followings

Support / help / discussion forum for twitter bot
kevshTO

How to RT Search Term from Followings

Post by kevshTO »

I've been trying unsuccessfully set up a RT action that searches only my account's followings for a tweet with a specific search term, or alternatively, searches Twitter for a search term but limits the responses to my followings.

I have tried setting up a Custom Search but if I specify "Followings Of" it will treat my search term as an account name. If I use "Tweet Search (recent)" then how do I limit the output to my followings? (If that's not possible, I can use a text file of accounts names or urls instead of my followings if that makes a difference.)

Thanks for any help
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Re: How to RT Search Term from Followings

Post by martin@rootjazz »

kevshTO wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:32 pm I've been trying unsuccessfully set up a RT action that searches only my account's followings for a tweet with a specific search term, or alternatively, searches Twitter for a search term but limits the responses to my followings.

I have tried setting up a Custom Search but if I specify "Followings Of" it will treat my search term as an account name. If I use "Tweet Search (recent)" then how do I limit the output to my followings? (If that's not possible, I can use a text file of accounts names or urls instead of my followings if that makes a difference.)

Thanks for any help

FOLLOWINGS search
with filter INCLUDE TERM

Or have a look at ADVANCED SEARCH
https://twitter.com/search-advanced

which the program will support and there should be a detailed forum post explaining it (somewhere)
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

I think the forum post is linked from the scraper tab
kevshTO

Post by kevshTO »

martin@rootjazz wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:05 pm FOLLOWINGS search
with filter INCLUDE TERM
Can you explain this precisely, I'm not sure what you are doing here (incl. "Include Term" filter?)
martin@rootjazz wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:05 pm Or have a look at ADVANCED SEARCH
https://twitter.com/search-advanced
There is a link to the forum post on the scraper, thanks. I have tried the advanced search and it's great, but a last resort in this case as I'd have to manually enter in the followings I want to search from - not very convenient as I add/remove followings or if I want to search dozens of them.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

kevshTO wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:48 pm
martin@rootjazz wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:05 pm FOLLOWINGS search
USER TWEETS (10)
with filter INCLUDE TERM
Can you explain this precisely, I'm not sure what you are doing here (incl. "Include Term" filter?)
Please note above, I made a change, you need the step USER TWEETS after followings of
on the action tab, click the FILTER button
In the filter options you will see a button INCLUDE WORDS
Enter the words that the item must include to be used.

Note, any word can match not all.

So now, any tweet that is scraped will be checked to make sure it contains one of your INCLUDE WORDS
kevshTO

Post by kevshTO »

Thanks for clarifying.

When setting this up as a Custom Search it is asking for a Search Term in the main window, and since the first step in the Custom Search is Followings I used an acct name (same acct that was RTing). What this does, however, is go through each Followings acct one by one and search all of its tweets for the search term (entered in the Filter as you showed*), which is obviously not convenient; I need the opposite: Perform a search for the keyword, then limit RTs to my Followings.

Doesn't seem like Multiple Search can do this either - I've tried playing around with it a few times and still not comfortable with how it works exactly. An alternative is to use a text file of accounts in the Search Term box and just search them for the keyword (using the filter), bypassing the custom search altogether. In any case, I'll try some other things.

* The description in the Include Words filter says it searches the bio for the term, not the tweet body so this is what confused me about your original instructions.