Can't update

Ask any support / help / issues / problem or question related to TumblingJazz
wolfatadfilm

Can't update

Post by wolfatadfilm »

I'm running tj on a WIndows Server 2016, as an administrator, Windows Defender real-time protection is off.
I had no problem installing and I have no problem running tj.
But when I download and try to run the updater exes (tried with 3 different versions already), the updater doesn't even appear in the task manager list. No sign of it running. What could be the reason?
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Re: Can't update

Post by martin@rootjazz »

so you are running this version?
https://rootjazz.com/tumblingjazz/downl ... v1.957.exe

Sounds like something on your machine isn't allowing it to run.

Move the installer out of the downloads folder, sometimes .exe files are not allowed to run there.

Check windows defender, and make sure our domain:
https://rootjazz.com/

and the file itself are whitelisted

Also check any other AV software you may be running and security software, I know Win10 has SMART SCREEN, not sure if server 2016 has that or not.
wolfatadfilm

Post by wolfatadfilm »

Thanks, I managed to get it to update.

Smart Screen is indeed part of Server 2016, and was set to Prompt, so should have prompted... Set it to Off, didn't change a thing
I also took the exe out of the download folder into the Program File folder, didn't help either.

Then I thought about your "whitelisting" comment and thought maybe I redownload via Internet Explorer (which has an "enhanced security configuration"). I added rootjazz to the safe site list, so managed to download it. It then told me "tumblingjazz is not commonly downloaded", and with an additional "more options" and "run anyway" I was finally able to run it and install the update. Uff.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

Post by martin@rootjazz »

Thanks for posting your findings, hopefully they will prove useful to others in a similar situation