soundcloud bot detection limits

Discussions to do with Soundcloud Manager. Do not use for support, use the dedicated support forum for help requests
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

soundcloud bot detection limits

Post by martin@rootjazz »

People always ask me, what are the limits for following / liking / commenting etc etc.

But there are no hard exact rules. I think Soundcloud varies the numbers depending on IP / account age etc.

And they change it, often.

I used to try and workout the Soundcloud limits for commenting / messaging / following per hour / unfollowing and let everyone know who asked. But then people would assume these values are exact and push up to these limits -1.

Then one day they got their accounts mass banned and thought it was my fault. Any limits I find out can only be stated as.
I favourited 4000 tracks in one hour then got banned
This does not mean you can favourite 3900 and not get banned. Well today maybe it does. But tomorrow maybe not.

What works today may not work tomorrow. So just take any figures as rough estimates, not exact.

So now I do not give out any Soundcloud limit information I may have as it isn't useful. What I do say is
Think how Soundcloud *MIGHT* try and detect bots, then do not do that.
Also I recommend going A LOT lower than any "assumed" limits. If the limit is 4,000, then stick at 2000.

If you can follow up to 2000 users, do not follow more than 1500.

I think soundcloud detects users that go up to / or close to the limit regulary and uses that as a metric for bot detection. So do not follow 2000 users for a week, then unfollow all. Then repeat.

Why not follow up to 1500 (yes we have that feature) as a maximum. But set up a routine to follow 100 users every day and repeat every 24 hours (yes we have that feature). Then every day unfollow 100 users (max) who you have followed for OVER 7 days and they have NOT followed you back.

Slow and steady, little by little.

You want to be setting up routines that work like normal users, not bots cranked up on speed :-)
arcan210

Re: soundcloud bot detection limits

Post by arcan210 »

Hah. i picture a bunch of cranked up robots running around, 'following' people and yelling comments at them.
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

arcan210 wrote:Hah. i picture a bunch of cranked up robots running around, 'following' people and yelling comments at them.
Reminds me of my youth lol
darionpyoos

Post by darionpyoos »

So, generally speaking, the daily limit for following users is +- 2000, depending on the circumstance? I have found that the limit for sharing a track to 75 groups every 12hours, generally speaking. but one limit I just have not been able to find is sharing to users, i have looked everywhere extensively and have no clue what the limit may be? any Ideas?
martin@rootjazz
Site Admin

No. 2000 is the OVERALL limit you are allowed to follow.

If you try and follow 2000 in a day, then unfollow the next, repeat. You will get a temp ban, then a full ban I imagine.

Ask yourself. Would a "normal" user follow 2000 people in a day.

Remember soundcloud can run statistical analysis to find out what a "normal" user does in a day. It can then FLAG EVERY ACCOUNT THAT EXCEEDS THIS for a manual review perhaps, or just logs it. After too many "unusual usage patterns" then investigate / temp ban